Forum home The potting shed

Autumn busyness

WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,255
Autumn has suddenly arrived here and leaves falling fast from the sycamore tree at the front of the house.

We've started to regig part of the old garden that is always full of weeds, pulmanaria and alchemilla mollis will help to suppress them. Cleared 1 bed of fallen, damaged and rotting material it seems to have gone ver very fast without any frosts.

Leaves are being gathered for the compost though I have very little room. Funny how when the garden is just shutting down for the winter the workload goes up lots 

• B3B3 Posts: 19,401
    My garden is on the cusp. Unfortunately, not everything dies gracefully. Some plants have a few buds or weedy- looking flowers. I'm at the shall I/ shan't I hoik it out now stage. I'm getting impatient to get on with it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,466
    In that case, go for it @B3 while the weather is on your side.
    I did some cutting back and "hoiking" yesterday. I need to get the wallflowers in and can't wait any longer. 
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,192
    Our garden would be a lot easier to tidy up if it died dry but we get no sun in winter and it is soggy from September to April. A new shredder should help but I need to get the old compost out of the daleks first.
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 264
    steephill said:
    Our garden would be a lot easier to tidy up if it died dry but we get no sun in winter and it is soggy from September to April.
    It's the same here @steephill
    Even in a dry spell over winter the ground is muddy and grass, plants etc. are soaking wet. 
    In spring I ask myself why I didn't do more through the winter, but each autumn I am reminded of the reason!
    Never mind, spring is on its way.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327
    I'm enjoying the fact that we've had so much dry weather here, so I've been able to do all sorts of jobs that would normally not get done.  :)
     My garden largely looks after itself at this time of year until spring, except if I have any projects to keep me busy. Other than that, watching the birds has been very enjoyable, especially on the wet days. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,060
    A lot of my dahlias are just flowering now. The azaleas leaves have turned red,but that's all. No sign of the orange autumn leaves the papers are telling us to run through with the kids. The eucalyptus sheds leaves and branches all year.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,255
    Luckily our ground isn't too bad even when it's very wet, with some big beds to sort we start early clearing and it gives the primulas a chance to get going as well. We have a few leaf and stick dumps in hidden corners for the hedgehogs and leave all the grasses till spring 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327
    Plenty of leaves to kick through here @Nanny Beach. They should be nice and crispy today with the frost too. 
    I love this time of year.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 19,401
    The council clears our street leaves before there's enough to have a good kick😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,189
    We've had dry sunny weather here in SW France too, @Fairygirl. I hope you have a happy birthday.

The lime tree is dropping leaves and the cherry tree is already bare but the others have hardly started yet.
    Dordogne and Norfolk