Forum home Problem solving

Kniphofia - crown rot? - a goner?

Hi - I have a kniphofia that I suspect may have developed crown rot over the course of last winter. I have a paved roof garden so it is growing in a pot. It lost a great proportion of its foliage, unlike my other kniphofia. The leaves developed a purple-brown mottling toward the base and came away from the plant easily - which does sound very like some sort of rot! I took it out of the pot and it still had okay roots, if maybe not so many as you'd expect.  As the weather improved it seemed to be recovering. it regained its foliage but when the flowers came they were severely stunted and drooped quickly. It is a Kniphofia Orange Vanilla Popsicle, so one of the 'daintier' varieties. 

What I really want to know is if it best to give up on it or - provided we don't have another hellish winter - might it recover some more next year? 

Thanks in advance!

• Do you have a sheltered spot in the garden , being in a pot can present problems for this kind of plant as they prefer a more constant condition than possibly drying out then watered. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,285
    Have you duplicated this thread @cl.lockwood? I'm sure I replied to you the other day  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Do you have a sheltered spot in the garden , being in a pot can present problems for this kind of plant as they prefer a more constant condition than possibly drying out then watered. 
    Hi Stephen - Thanks for the reply. I actually bought another to replace it as it was bit of a favourite so I'll move both of them to a sheltered spot this winter and hope the weaker one rallies. 
  • Fairygirl said:
    Have you duplicated this thread @cl.lockwood? I'm sure I replied to you the other day  :)
    Hi Fairygirl - Yes, my bad. I posted in the wrong category so I then posted in the right one and couldn't delete the original post. I haven't used this forum much - can you tell?! I've since been told that the category thing isn't so important so I'll know for next time.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,285
    No problem @cl.lockwood - I thought I was having deja vu, or losing the plot completely. Wouldn't be the first time!  :D
    Did you have a closer look at the one that was struggling?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    No problem @cl.lockwood - I thought I was having deja vu, or losing the plot completely. Wouldn't be the first time!  :D
    Did you have a closer look at the one that was struggling?
    Yes, it still seems a bit ropey. The foliage has grown back but it is much shorter than that on my other one so I feel it may well be a write off. I'll give my others a bit more shelter if this winter turns out like the last one!