Forum home Tools and techniques

Joseph Bentley tools warrantee?

JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,690
edited November 2020 in Tools and techniques
Hi all,

I cant find much info online about the warrantee on these tools - just snapped a fork digging up some bulbs :(

Not sure where I bought it...yet.

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,690
    How?

As above I cant find anything online.  🙂
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,292
    It looks like back in 2008 that brand was acquired by this gardening and construction wholesaler: https://www.decco.co.uk/ it looks like in the meantime it was killed as they already have Spear and Jackson in their portfolio. Wonder if they'd want to hear...
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,101
    edited November 2020
    There are very mixed reviews on Amazon including a very salient comment in the highlighted one star review

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-Bentley-Stainless-Steel-Digging/product-reviews/B003JTH6GA

Others share your frustration
    https://www.diy.com/departments/joseph-bentley-fork-l-1060mm/236978_BQ.prd
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,690
    Maybe Im better off finding someone who sells fork handles? 

Or is that four candles?
  • I'm new to this forum and have just seen JoeX's post.  We have just started using our Joseph Bentley garden fork and guess what...the handle broke off in the same place as JoeX's!  I'm really surprised that this is happening to these forks as they were sold as premium quality tools.  They certainly don't match up to my father's garden fork which I am still using, but with care as it's 80 years old!  I'm going to contact our garden centre where we purchased the Joseph Bentley fork to see what they will do.  However, I don't hold out much hope as the original garden centre has been taken over by another company.  I'll post an update if I have anything which will help.
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 951
    I had a long handled tool, a bit like a patio knife, made by Joseph Bentley. I got it in TKMaxx, so it was probably an end of range item. I got quite a few years use out of it, until it broke - admittedly under considerable strain. I tried very hard to replace it, but obviously the brand had disappeared. I can’t imagine that your guarantee will be of any use.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,351
    That's always going to be the weak point isn't it where the wooden shaft is thinned down to fit in to the metal socket, I suppose that forks are made for digging and not for levering which is something we all do to them so no wonder that they break. I have a Burgon and Ball spade and fork which is advertised to stand up to some tremendous leverage stress but I managed to break mine in exactly the same place that you broke yours but Wyevale garden centre exchanged it without quibble, I don't use it for major works now as I bought a Spear and Jackson set from Screwfix which takes all kinds of abuse I don't think that paying a lot for garden tools guarantees strength or long life.