Forum home Problem solving

Can anyone help me identify my greenhouse glazing clips?

I inherited a vintage greenhouse which uses rather unusual aluminium glazing clips. I have searched high and low with no luck. I need to get some clips so if anyone can help I would be very grateful. There are two types, the ones with the lip also support the upper pane. The label which identifies the manufacturer of the greenhouse has long been missing. Would have been made sometime between 1940-1980 based on previous occupants.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,368
    You may end-up having to make them, but it would be easy enough if you cut sections off of a suitably-sized aluminium T-section bar, then trim and bend as needed to duplicate the originals.  A bit of DIY experience would be necessary (hacksaw, pliers, bench vice.)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • i just wish I could remember the manufacturer’s name. The name plate was barely legible and it’s gone missing. Thanks for the tips. I’ve searched every manufacturer I can find and spares places but will keep looking
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,881
    I’ll have a look at ours tomorrow if it ever stops chucking down rain, one of ours was bought in 1970, it has similar clips to that but we used the W shaped clips to hold the glas to the frame and the Z type clips to support the panels. 
    Pill photograph the frames and see if they’re similar to yours. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I inherited a vintage greenhouse which uses rather unusual aluminium glazing clips. I have searched high and low with no luck. I need to get some clips so if anyone can help I would be very grateful. There are two types, the ones with the lip also support the upper pane. The label which identifies the manufacturer of the greenhouse has long been missing. Would have been made sometime between 1940-1980 based on previous occupants.
    Mystery has been solved, I believe! I sent the photos to a greenhousespares.com and they told me that they were used on Hartley Botanical greenhouses. Having spoken to Hartley they haven’t used those clips in many years and don’t carry them any more. Very frustrating but at least the mystery is solved. 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,432
    I agree with a previous suggestion,  you can use W clips to hold glass to the sides and Z clips between the panes. 
    Ask Hartley what they use now, I am sure they will advise. 
    AB Still learning

• Hartley were no help. The only thing they had to offer was that I get some custom made. Sadly the ‘W’ clips don’t work very well due to the depth of the channel ridges. They just kept repeating that it was an obsolete design even in the 80’s and they don’t and can’t carry the spares. 
    I didn’t get back because I thought you’d sorted it.
    These are the ones I use on the GH with the wider gap frame, they’re very springy , in fact we lost more that we put in😀. But they do the job.

• Lyn said:
    I didn’t get back because I thought you’d sorted it.
    These are the ones I use on the GH with the wider gap frame, they’re very springy , in fact we lost more that we put in😀. But they do the job.

Where did you get these from Lyn or do you have a name for them? I’ve not seen those ones on my searches. Thanks for the info
    edited October 2021
    They’re new but can’t remember ,   Either eBay of the garden centre.  I’ll have a look.

I can’t find the exact ones on eBay or amazon so assume I bought them at the garden centre shop.
    These are similar,  the measurements are on them so may be of use.
    you may be able to send a message to these people.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153849279242?hash=item23d221b30a:g:1KQAAOSwmfhcPf4M

https://www.amazon.co.uk/50-Stainless-Greenhouse-Clips-Greenhouses/dp/B009IMU8QW/ref=psdc_4224794031_t1_B00E7VRG6O