Courgette Flowers

I seem to have an abundance of male flowers on my cougette plants and only a couple of females, should I be doing something to encourage more females.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,308

There are usually more males than females at the start of the season. Give it time and it will   balance.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Thanks for that fidgetbones - I will look forward to the females later - Is there any special food that I should be giving them

Courgettes like a rich, humus laden soil. Asssuming they are already planted in whatever you already have, a feed once a week with phostrogen or tomorite or seaweed meal would be good.  They like plenty of water so if it hasn't rained all week give each plant a bucket full of  water. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Male flowers usually have a little blob behind the flower. A female has a definite  baby courgette behind the flower.  If you google "courgette flowers" there are some pictures to illustrate.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,566

I feel I should be telling you about the birds and the bees image but don't worry, I won't image  except ............each courgette plant will have both male and female flowers - they look pretty much the same as each other except that behind the male flower the stem is sort of long and thin, whereas behind the female there will be a baby courgette waiting to grow.  Insects will go into the male flower and come out covered in male pollen - the plan is that they will then go into the female flower and the pollen will brush off the insect onto the 'female parts' of the female flower and fertilise it - the little baby courgette will then begin to grow - it's great fun, all this vegetable sex image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Dove imageimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,139

I feel I should look the other way image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,566

And I used to think it all happened under the gooseberry bushes image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Dove..........love your story of how the baby courgette is made,

vegetable sex before the watershedimage