Forum home Problem solving

Larix keam. Stiff Weeping (Weeping Japanese Larch)

Hi. I have a 1 year old Larch in my raised bed (lots of soil beneath and around it for roots to develop) and it was bright green up to recently. I'm in Dublin, Ireland and we've had a good summer and I've watered it plenty. It is now starting to turn a very odd colour. The needles are turning black at the tips, rather than the expected brown before they fall for the winter. Any advice on how to 'revive' this would be appreciated. Perhaps I've overwatered, underwatered or put wrong compost on top of soil recently. Please see photo. Thank you.

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,230
    How often have you been watering it? And by how much. What is the raised bed sat on? Hard surface or soil
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    Not sure if relevant but I bought a small weeping willow tree in spring and it's done the same twice already, it was caused by an aphids attack (ants). It recovers quickly after I hosed them off with plenty of water.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,556
    What is the depth of the raised bed? How much water have you given and how often?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,432
    edited September 2021
    Is it planted into a loam/soil based compost or something like MPC which is more light and fibrous? 

It really needs loam/soil … it’s roots won’t have reached far into the soil below the raised bed as yet. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh