Forum home Problem solving

Eucalyptus what's wrong?

PotsOfLuckPotsOfLuck Posts: 3
edited September 2021 in Problem solving
Hello I am no gardener but I like to try, something is wrong with my eucalyptus and I don't know how to help it? Any advice would be fab but please be kind 👍many thanks

• Hello - if you attached a photo, it hasn't loaded. You need to reduce its size to <1MB and then it should be OK!

If you haven't attached a photo - the postcard icon with mountains on it is the one to use.

I am sure people will then be able to offer some advice.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    It's in a wee pot, and is very dry, by the look of it @shelleyhumphries205. They're not very well suited to pot culture - they want to become huge trees.
    If you can't plant it out, you'll need to find a huge container for it, and also keep it pollarded each year.  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hello thanks for replying 😁 I don't have the space to plant it I don't think, our garden isn't very big, and i have read they can become enormous? What do you mean by pollarded? 
  • Pollarding means cutting it right back to almost ground level, leaving just short stumps. It sounds and feels brutal but the plant will send out new shoots and these will still have the round juvenile leaves, like it does now, not the narrower ones they get when they are older.
    First though, it  needs a load of water and a  much bigger pot with some decent compost, John Innes No.3 for preference.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    @Buttercupdays has given you the info   :)

The pot and the soil is the first step though.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....