Grass snake

Went for a stroll around a nearby disused aerodrome near where I live today and came across this little fella...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/file_zps38d875c1.jpg

First time Ive ever seen one in the flesh. Someone had placed some pieces of metal corrugated roofing panels in the grass, and I know snakes like to hide under them.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,018

image lovely snake LF

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One identifier is the white "dogcollar" clearly evident here.

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 850
    Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)

One identifier is the white "dogcollar" clearly evident here.

Your right, but I didnt know that at the time so I kept my distance!!! I had to google it when I got home.

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

I've got corragated tins in my rough area and photoed this grass snake today. It was very dull and it's eyes were cloudy so I think it's getting ready to shed it's skin.

Also took a photo of an adder today and posted that photo too.

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

Lovey photo, LeadFarmer. My snake was off like a shot so not a good photo.

Must be great to see one in your garden. Fascinating to watch I bet?

Pottie Pam wrote (see)

Lovey photo, LeadFarmer. My snake was off like a shot so not a good photo.

Well I was out with my DSLR camera taking photos of a disused WW2 RAF barrage balloon site when I came across the snake. It would have been frustrating to have seen it and not had my camera with me.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,018

We spend summer lunch breaks watching them hunting for their lunch in the pond

• Keen 1Keen 1 Posts: 187

I live in a very dry part of the Country so have several (9) water butts set up. When these are getting near full I usually take off several buckets full of water and stand them for later use, gaining a bit more. Last year I found a young Grass Snake under them, this was right up to the bungalow side, took some pics and left it be. We also get Frogs and Toads and I have created what I call "Toad Hall" -  I bricked one course round a Manhole cover and put slabs over this leaving a space under these for them in the cool, it is also near to the small pond.