Forum home Problem solving

Sinking lawn

We recently removed a large section of block paving from our back garden and laid turf. We had help from someone who does this kind of thing for a living. However, after having removed the hard core we were abandoned and left to put the soil down ourselves having never done this before. We could tell we weren't doing a great job but had to carry on regardless as the turf needed to be put down that day. Once we'd laid the turf it looked slightly uneven but we thought we'd done an ok job. That was 8 days ago. We've not walked on it until today and it's quite squelchy and feels like it's sinking in multiple places. Is there anything we can do to rectify this without starting all over again? We were advised to water it twice a day. Could this have anything to do with it?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,279
    If the new topsoil wasn't compacted properly then you will end up with a total mess. Nothing to do with watering. Such a shame the so called professional didn't do the whole job. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,829
    Very unfortunate for you @carebear82.cc.
    It's not completely hopeless - have you a photo so that we can see how difficult the area is? The icon that looks like hills is the one for uploading.  :)
    You might need to lift and re lay it - after amending the ground a bit more, but I can understand that you may not want to do that.
    Alternatively, you might be able to fix it by simply adding more topsoil to the 'dips' and reseeding. That [the re seeding] would really have to wait until spring so that the ground could settle properly. 
    I think that's possibly where the problem's been for you. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• It was a nightmare from start to finish. The skip was too small, we had to get a last minute digger which cost double and we were 2/3 tonnes short of top soil which we somehow managed to get on the Sunday. I think we were short by a tonne though which obviously hasn't helped. Photos to follow!
    It's not easy - especially just now with certain things being in short supply etc.
    Hopefully, we can offer a solution which you can tackle reasonably easily - fingers crossed.
    It's pretty lousy that you were left in the lurch in the first place. I hope you didn't pay them, although sometimes, if it's someone you know, it's a bigger problem than just employing s tradesman.

I can' even get them to answer my query about doing a small job for my parking area, never mind do the work .  :/

• Thanks for your input, much appreciated. It was actually a close family member which I do think is worse. Hate to say but completely let us down and well and truly in the lurch. And the one strip of turf he laid is also sinking so not much better than our own efforts! I do think we're going to have to lift it and try to even it out. I might leave that until spring now though seeing as winter is coming
    I don't think that looks too bad. I appreciate that photos can be misleading though.

I wonder if you're better just  adding a bit of extra soil to level it, and seeding - in spring. It's quite difficult without seeing it 'in the flesh'  though. 

• To be honest it looks the part, we were really quite smug with ourselves. Then we stepped on it today for the first time and my heart sank along with my shoes 😂
     ;) 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,843
    I do think 8 days is very soon to be walking on newly laid turf. I’d want to leave it several weeks. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh