Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Orange blossom query

Hi
I planted this philadelphus virginal in the middle of May. The first photo shows the size when planted. It has grown loads as can be seen from the second photo taken today ( photo has rotated for some reason). And is still growing. 
No flowers though?
any reason or am I just being impatient again!!
Can I look forward to flowers next year if not 2021??
Thanks as always. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    It's only been in the ground five minutes  :)
    Shrubs need to establish [which takes months] before they're ready to produce buds and flowers. They mainly concentrate on getting roots well down, and growing, in the first year after planting.  It'll flower well enough next year.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ShennyShenny Posts: 127
    Brilliant. That’s what I thought. Just wanted a more knowledgeable person to confirm. So thank you fairygirl. It just means I can stop worrying that I might be doing something wrong. 
    Hi
    sorry for more questions. The orange blossom is really quite big now. Should I prune it at some point? And if so when and how much?
  • We have a philadelphus which we inherited when we moved in here 25 years ago. It has never flowered. It's on the top of a rockery, which makes it a daunting prospect to dig out, although we have decided we really must if it doesn't do the business next year after being cut down to the ground. It's been know as the Pointless Bush for 20 years at least, and its only purpose is to be a sacrificial magnet for all the neighbourhood black flies, thereby saving all the rest of the plants. If anyone can help me give it one last chance before the mattock gets brought out, I'd be grateful. It's only lasted this long because of its position and its rock hard roots, plus our lack of interest in the garden until now. I guess we get what we deserve.
  • Noooo!  You won’t have flowers next year if you prune it now. 

It’ll make a tall handsome shrub about 6’ tall … don’t panic it’ll look great. 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I cut ours down in April. It's on its last warning.
    Ok. So won’t prune and see what it does next year. Thank you. Good luck with yours CostumedVole.
  • Thank you. I've been out and threatened it today. Yesterday I threatened it by planting something nicer and a lot more interesting next to it in the hope that it will be shamed into doing something to make its existence worthwhile. I am not hopeful.