Forum home Problem solving

Midges

As an avid gardener and a viewer of Gardeners World I have noticed that none of the presenters appear to have trouble with midges.  I am normally covered in bites do they use something special or am I unfortunate 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    Avon Skin So Soft possibly. 
    Well known repellent up here  for 'the midge'.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,857
    Some of us use Avon Skin So Soft. It's not sold as a repellant but it works.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,329
    I've had lots of gnat bites this year. We had a wet winter and, consequently, the garden has been unusually lush this year. I think all that extra foliage plus increased humidity has increased the number of bitey things. Seem to disturb them every time I get in there to do some cutting back.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,024
    I get bitten but by what I have no idea. Something even found the hole in my jeans! Never see anything that could possibly be the culprit. Usually leaves a nice red itchy spot. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,502
    I have pots of mint in the garden, some near the back door,  and I don't get many in the house. This is good as I come up in big blisters from bites.