Forum home Fruit & veg

Dying plum tree?

I planted a young plum tree a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised to get fruit from it last year. It looked like I'd have another successful crop this year but the leaves on half the branches (one side of the tree) suddenly started to turn brown and the fruit shrivelled. I gave it lots of extra water in case it that but now the leaves and fruit on all the other branches are going the same way. It certainly isn't lack of water as we've had plenty of rain recently. Any ideas what this might be and whether there's anything I can do to save my tree?

• PlashingPlashing Posts: 322
    Can you send us a photo of the tree then we might be able to help.
  • pbroundpbround Posts: 10

I’ve had to re-size the photo to be able to post it but hopefully this gives an idea of the problem. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,703
    I’d suggest that some bacterial or fungal infection entered the tree at the point where it was “topped”. The branch nearest to the cut was the first to fall victim, then the lower branch became infected as time went on.

I’d call it a day.

Do you keep your secateurs spotlessly clean between pruning events? It’s always a good idea to give them a good wash after you use them.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Oh dear. Thank you. I have to admit that I tend to just wipe my secateurs. I'll be more vigilant in future.
  • depoksharma07depoksharma07 BangladeshPosts: 38
    pbround said:
    I’ve had to re-size the photo to be able to post it but hopefully this gives an idea of the problem. 
    I have facing same problem in my garden