Forum home Wildlife gardening

Where are the birds??

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,531
    @Busy-Lizzie. I thought the pigeon must have been connected to the dead one in some way so they do mate for life. Bless them. I know they can be a nuisance in public places but I don't mind them coming to my "garden" as it's not annoying any neighbours. Had 15 of them this afternoon! Your NDN must have saved you a lot of money as I know feeding the birds doesn't come cheap.
    @JamesSB  I would like to think that the pigeon watching the other working is actually looking out for predators to warn it. Maybe they take it in turns. The birds you normally hear or see must have found better feeding grounds. They will be back no doubt.
    @Fairygirl  Many years ago I had one lone pigeon who visited every day and it was the most beautiful colour of a tan/brown. He would feed out of my hand and was no bother until some time later the pigeons in the neighbourhood twigged on and then I had to stop as that would have annoyed the neighbours. Never saw him again. You are lucky Dave keeps everything to himself.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,064
    I saw my two robins this week, poor things looked like feather dusters! Have more babies around than adults. The resident collared doves have left theirs, along with the blackbird,  and it is very chilled and sits and watches me in the garden.
    @purplerallim Maybe your two robins have been growing new feathers and trying to bring up a family as well. No wonder they look like feather dusters! The doves and blackbird have more sense and have left their offspring to do their own thing. 
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 866
    A bit of sunshine this morning and the swifts gave a little display and a kite flew over me while I was sitting having my coffee. 

The jackdaws have been bathing all morning too. 

Really relaxes me. It’s a good job they do as we’ve got decorators in doing five rooms!! 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,064
    My robins have raised two sets of fledglings this year. No wonder they look spent @Fran IOM 😆
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 961
    I enjoy all the birds that come into our garden, but am dismayed at the amount of damage done this year, never been as bad as this, and they are well fed at the feeders, which are never allowed to get empty.
    And just like that I’m currently watching about twenty house sparrows playing in the dry mud at the end of the garden. 

They’re all coming back! 
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 953
    Dave sounds like fun. We have a regular visitor we call TooToo! Must have been fed by someone at some stage, as it just walks up to us when we are outside, and waits until we get food for it. Very friendly and will eat out of our hands. 
    Yesterday we had a big flock of long tailed tits, coal tits and a few goldcrests, all searching around in the branches of the Scots Pines in the front garden. Also a family of nuthatches on the bird feeders.
    @JamesSB  There was one time I watched the sparrows doing that which was fascinating. Knew they did it for a reason but wasn't sure why.

Some birds, for example House Sparrows, take dust baths (often after a water bath) by rolling about in dry dust or soil. The dust is thought to absorb excess preen oil and remove dry skin, lice, etc. ... The sun is thought to straighten the birds feathers and help the preen oil to spread through the feathers.

Found the info on Google!  :) 
    Yes I found that out recently too @Fran IOM

I wish it was easy to add videos on here as I got a great one earlier of LOADS of them bathing in the soil. Because they are the colour of dry soil it looks bonkers from the kitchen window. Looks like the soil is alive and jumping about!