Forum home Plants

Which Iris is pictured?

grahamseargrahamsear Posts: 5
Can anyone tell me which varieties of tall bearded Iris are pictured in Monty Don's article Sprung from the Earth,  on page 31 of the May 21 edition of Gardeners' World Magazine ?, the blues are so intense they look amazing. Thanks. Graham

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 798
    I found this quote online which refers to the bearded iris he grows in his dry garden at Longmeadow....

"By this time of year, the bearded irises in the Dry Garden are all flowering with rich, velvety purple petals, but I confess that I do not know which variety they are. 

They were given to us many years ago by a friend who had also received them as a gift. None of us along the line could identify them. But a name would not make them any more beautiful."

If it is the irises in the Jewel Garden to which you refer, they are Iris sibirica, not bearded types. Unfortunately, I have not been able to establish which cultivars.

• grahamseargrahamsear Posts: 5
    Thanks Rachel, the irises in the picture look so blue i've not seen any like that before, but if Monty's not sure himself then i'll have to search the internet to see if i can find a match, thanks for trying, i appreciate it.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,667
    Blue can be notoriously difficult to photograph accurately, so you may find it tricky.
    They don't always look the same in real life either  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FireFire LondonPosts: 11,137
    Can anyone tell me which varieties of tall bearded Iris are pictured in Monty Don's article Sprung from the Earth,  on page 31 of the May 21 edition of Gardeners' World Magazine ?, the blues are so intense they look amazing. Thanks. Graham

Can you scan in the picture?
    Yes thanks Fairygirl a true blue is tough to find, I was hoping the picture hadn't been touched up.. perhaps I was being too  hopeful, they do look fantastic in the picture though... 
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,273
    edited 2 August
    Here's the picture in case it helps 

To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    edited 2 August
    I remember this blue iris as he had posted a close up pic on his Instagram feed back in May, its absolutely gorgeous.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,667
    There are so many blues that it wouldn't be difficult to find a really nice one anyway - whether a bearded or any other type.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,663
    Have a look at ‘Blue de Mer’ here https://www.toddsbotanics.co.uk/bearded-iris/iris-blue-rhythm.htm
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks guys they look more purple in the posted picture than in the magazine, I've bought many bearded iris I thought were blue that ended up purple but the varieties that have been listed by you guys look promising,  so thanks for your help.  G.