Forum home Tools and techniques

Mattock Club

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 866
    I’ll be fine. I’ll only dig the pond under strict supervision. And I’ll buy some steel capped boots! @Fire
  • CostumedVoleCostumedVole Posts: 257
    Make sure whoever supervises you digging the pond is also a member of Mattock Club. I think there ought to be a uniform, and it definitely needs to include steel toed boots. We all need toes.
    Maybe they could be the tag line for the group: “We all need toes!” 

I don’t think they’ll want to be part of the club. As long as they have a gin or two they’ll be happy to participate on a “guest” basis. 
  • AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 201
    My last dig looked very similar.

It beat the mattock (handle snapped whilst levering) and the pick (handle snapped whilst levering) and got me through three blades on the oscillating saw that I used on roots too deep for the mattock. Three afternoons later, the stump was out. It now sits in the garden as a trophy.

...and I was only doing it as a favour for my neighbour.
    I don't think gin and mattocks mix... 
    Astraeus said:
    My last dig looked very similar.

It beat the mattock (handle snapped whilst levering) and the pick (handle snapped whilst levering) and got me through three blades on the oscillating saw that I used on roots too deep for the mattock. Three afternoons later, the stump was out. It now sits in the garden as a trophy.

...and I was only doing it as a favour for my neighbour.
    See how many members of Mattock Club there are @JamesSB ?
    As long as they can dial 999 they will do. 
    It feels good doesn’t it @Astraeus

The best bit is when it starts to move. You know you’re doing well at that point. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,602
    edited 1 August
    I like toes.

A friend recently broke my good garden fork trying to get out privet hedge roots. Don't try to lever anything out with a fork or get impatient - it's the death of good tools. Amen.

# shouldhaveusedamattock
    Fire said:
    I like toes.
    They're really handy...