Forum home Problem solving

Mahonia massacre

Slugs/snails devoured all the tender new leaves on my small but growing Mahonia X media (photo). Should I leave it be, or snip off the top stem or cut off the partially eaten parts? Thanks.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,405
    I'd snip them off to tidy it up and then let it be.  It will re-grow.   I have one that lost its head when a branch fell off it in a storm.  I cleaned up that wound and it's done well since.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,706
    Yes - not really a great problem other than cosmetic. 
    Mahonias can benefit from a good hacking back anyway, when they get a bit big for the space, or are looking a bit rough, so cutting off ragged stems does no harm.
    The only problem you might have is that there's not a lot of room for it to grow to full potential there. Most of the media mahonias become very large shrubs.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• UrbanNoviceUrbanNovice Posts: 27

Thanks both. I'll have a bit of a trim.

@Fairygirl: You are right about the tight space and it's actually in a planter which I've read is a no-no for Mahonias too. I was trying to make a lush evergreen planter in a position of constant shade. I would have liked to have had hostas but every one I have ever bought has been savaged by gastropods. I read that Mahonias were as tough as old boots and shade tolerant too so thought I would give it a go.