Forum home The potting shed

Courgette, courgettes and more courgettes ... recipes to use up your glut here

2»

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,703
    Two fat yellow courgettes appeared in my kitchen yesterday so I washed and trimmed them, cut lengthways into quarters and then again at 1cm intervals to get little wedges.  Salted and left to drain for an hour then rinsed and dried.

Then I cooked a pack of lardons (bacon bits) to release excess fat and start crisping them, drained off excess fat and then tossed the courgettes in them along with a pinch of chilli flakes, 2 cloves of garlic, grated, and the zest of a lemon.   When cooked but still firm I added the lemon juice and a tbs of chopped basil.

Delish with pasta.  A keeper and easily varied.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • mallaidh49mallaidh49 Posts: 3
    I don't think that Courgette and Stilton Soup actually tastes of Blue Cheese so you may be OK. Also - you could use a different cheese!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,812
    I don't think that Courgette and Stilton Soup actually tastes of Blue Cheese so you may be OK. Also - you could use a different cheese!

I’ve made it with Caerphilly because that’s what I had … it worked really well. 

Courgette, cheddar  and sage soup is good too. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,477
    If that was addressed to me, I love Stilton. I know it can be made with other cheeses and keep meaning to try them, but the Stilton is so good it seems a bit pointless.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    It was more to expand on @mallaidh49’s post rather than addressing anyone in particular 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/creamy-courgette-bacon-pasta

This dish has been a regular in our house for the last month. Hard to keep up with the 2 plants though. 
    Going to have 1 plant only next year 
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,477
    Mine was responding to mallhaid's too.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    LG_ said:
    Mine was responding to mallhaid's too.
    😂 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,703
    I sometimes just slice courgettes, put them in a shallow, buttered gratin dish, season and top with grated cheese.  Bake in the oven till cheese bubbling and golden.

I tried the courgette soda bread on the Good Food site a couple of weeks ago to eat wita simple courgette soup and that was very good.   Lovely toasted too.

We've been eating them in fritters, Indian curries, Thai curries and I'm planning to make a twice baked courgette soufflé I used to do form a recipe in a Time-Life cookbook form the 80s.   Luscious.

Never do ratatouille cos I don't get on with aubergines anymore but I have a recipe for a vegetarian tagine using aubergines and just substitute courgettes and when one escapes and starts to get to zeppelin proportions they're good salted, drained and then layered as you would with melanzane alla parmigiata.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw