Forum home Problem solving

Plant advice

I have a small Concreted front yard (approx 2m from house to front wall) that is west facing. It is shaded all morning but in the afternoon and early evening gets direct sunlight; this, and the radiated heat reflecting from the front of my house, means this area gets very warm. 
I would like to place a containerised shrub or plant at the front of my house to add some colour to an otherwise drab space. Can anyone recommend a suitable plant for the location and conditions described please?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,465
    My initial thought is maybe lavender in one pot for some Summer colour?
    Shrub wise there's a few suggestions here
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/best-shrubs-to-grow-in-containers/

The bigger the pot the better as far as shrubs are concerned. 
    Whereabouts are you (a general location will do) ? This will help with other suggestions  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327
    There's plenty of things which will be fine, but anything in a pot needs more care than in the ground, so bear that in mind.
    You could consider more than one pot too, so that you can have some seasonal planting - bulbs for spring, evergreens for over winter etc. A good way of doing it if you only want one pot, is to have one really good one, and then have several plastic pots with different plants/bulbs/annuals, to put inside it,  and then you can swap them around through the year to have a continuation of colour and form  :)

Hebes are good for pot specimens, and many are fairly straightforward in terms of care, but as @AnniD says, if you can offer a little more info that will help. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I’m on the east coast of Suffolk
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 250
    A large pot with an Acer ? Would have to be a LARGE pot but.I have 2 in large pots ,had them years .They’re not evergreen but.Do you want it to be there all year round ?