Forum home Problem solving

sweet peas overrun with greenfly

I went away for 3 days and came back and the 2 wigwams with sweet peas are overrun with greenfly - I have sprayed them with a bug spray- but wondering if I cut them back at the tips where they are mainly located would the sweet peas sprout up again ?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,690
    You only need to give them a jet from a hose or similar, or wipe with your hand to remove them.  Using a chemical deterrent also affects any predators, not just the aphid.

At this time of year, nipping out the tops would tend to stop growth, as they're annuals. In early spring, or over winter, it creates a bushier plants.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,800
    Fairygirl

Is it OK to use very diluted washing up liquid to clear greenfly/aphids etc. ?
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 848
    Yes, or the liquid from boiled rhubarb leaves, decanted into a household trigger spray.  I think it's mainly the high concentration of salt in washing up liquid (used as a thickening agent) that aphids don't like.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,690
    edited 30 July
    Not really needed - water is all that's required. Anything else is a bit pointless and a waste of time and resources.  :)
    Washing up liquid, even very dilute,  apparently causes them to explode   :o
    Much as I dislike them [although I don't get much bother from them here] that put me off using it when I found out!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....