Forum home Problem solving

Weed Help

Hi,

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to gardening, but am trying to learn more and get our garden looking lovely. We have recently noticed these weeds in our garden and they seem to be spreading quickly. At the minute they are along each side of the garden but not through the middle. I've looked at some weed identification sites but am still clueless as to what it is so was wondering if some knowledgeable people on here might be able to tell me and possibly suggest ways to get rid of it. Not sure if it helps but we live on the north-east coast of Scotland and also have a lot of moss.

Thank you

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,600
    Hello @joanne.h.jones and welcome to the forum  :)

That looks a lot like Buckler leaf sorrel, usually regarded as a salad herb ... but I think it can get a bit rampant if it's happy ... I wish it would be happy here but it isn't 

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/rumex-scutatus/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you @Dovefromabove it does look like that. Unfortunately says it is toxic to dogs and our dog likes to eat the long grass that grows by it so I think I will need to do something about it :( I wonder if I could start supplying local restaurants, lol :D this is just one small section
    edited 29 July
    A selective lawn weedkiller ought to do the job ... It might need a few applications but that, coupled with regular mowing should see it off.   :)

This sort of thing https://www.onbuy.com/gb/evergreen-lawn-care-lawn-food-weed-and-moss-killer-bag-400sqm-complete-4-in-1~c5040~p21510276/?exta=gshp&stat=eyJpcCI6IjIyLjk0MDAiLCJkcCI6bnVsbCwibGlkIjoyODYxNDQyMSwicyI6bnVsbCwidCI6MTYyNzM5NDAwNSwiYm1jIjowfQ==&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9-y_9JGI8gIVuIBQBh32tgsSEAQYBCABEgKR_fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  

other brands are available, and it should be cheaper in B&Q or somewhere like that.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Brilliant, thank you so much for your help :)
    edited 29 July
    Apply it exactly according to the directions ... too much and you'll burn the grass.  The wheeled applicators are , in my experience, generally useless and often result in overdosing and panicked queries on here  :'(

I mark out the lawn in !m x 1m squares with canes and string and weigh out the 'stuff' to apply per square metre  into a paper cup and mark the level, then scatter it carefully with a hand (in a rubber glove).  Its not too onerous, even on quite a large lawn if you do it in sections, and saves ruining the lawn.  

• Great advice, thank you. Definitely don't want to be ruining the lawn so sounds much better to spend that bit of extra time measuring out
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,288
    Definitely the way to go.  :)
    If you can get on top of it now, regular mowing will help to keep it in check, especially if you really crop the stuff Rover likes chewing  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

And don't mow the grass too short ... it exposes the roots to the sun and they get scorched and then weakened ... it can also result in bare patches where weeds will grow.  Keep the mower set on the middle height and mow regularly, at least once a week.  :)