Forum home The potting shed

Foodie help

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,312
I know there are some foodies on here, so I have a question. If you could pick a tasting menu to try, for a special occasion, in London, which would you go for? I've had one once, several years ago at Fifteen, but am not familiar with the food scene at all, so some pointers would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,805
    edited 22 July
    It's so long since I've eaten out in London ........ I'm a member of a small UK foodie forum with several London members ... would you like me to ask the question on there ... not mentioning your name of course? 

Any particular part of London … ?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,735
    IMO, without a doubt Gordon Ramsays in Chelsea is still the best [ but very pricy ], have eaten there twice and it is better than any other London restaurant.

Core is also good.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,312
    I was just looking at Core, so that's interesting. Not sure we can afford GR but will have a look!
    Yes please Dove, that would be great. Anywhere in London is possible, but central, SE, E probably easiest. 
    It has to be a tasting menu rather than a regular meal.
    - Cicero
    I wanted recommendations regardless of price... but having now looked at prices, the lower end would be good!!!
    - Cicero
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,860
    edited 22 July
    ROKA Charlotte Street.  I remember reading about this place and thinking I'd love to go. High end Japanese. Apparently the lamb cutlets are a thing of wonder.

I'm intrigued by Six by Nico too. My kind of food, both of them.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,469
    Have had Roka’s tasting menu a couple of times.  Highly recommend it.  Go for the premium tasting menu if you can afford it.  The Charlotte Street branch is the original, and a good location for doing other touristy things.  

Yes, I'd recomm Charlotte St.
    Thanks - that's a good recommendation for the others, though I'm not great with Japanese food. Maybe I'd be different with very good Japanese food.
    - Cicero
    Does anyone know anything about Ametsa, Xier, Mere, Da Terra, Casa Fofo, Native, The Petersham or Angelina? 
    Apologies to anyone dropping in on this thread - this is all a bit niche, but I knew there would be people here to ask as I've no idea about this stuff!
    - Cicero
    edited 22 July
    I'll give a plug for my local gastronomic place of wonder - Through the Woods, N8; a very long way from LG.  All the food is grown locally, in gardens and allotments. They make all their own bread, cheese, pickles, ice cream etc. It's a plant-based menu of, really, the highest quality, meat is more of an optional addition to set off the stella produce. TtW is a small place - seating something like 12 people three times a week - the food is essentially made bespoke for you. It started out as a 'supper club' and managed to transfer to a permanent venue a few years ago, and I'm delighted to see that they have survived through the various lockdowns and are open for bookings again. 

Knowing the owners have gone to such lengths to grow each blooming pea and pickled beet, in each of the ten or so tasting courses, I find we slow right down. We don't go to chat (unusually), we go to taste and savour and hmmmm over home made butter and loaf, warm from the oven.

There is no point at to taking non-foodies, or perhaps, people not that interested in growing, as they won't get the point at all. It's not a 'classy joint' and looks more like a cafe with a Scandi vibe.

The guys who run it are lovely and eminently knowledgable, in the industry for decades. There is a 'wine flight' to go with every course, if you want it. Wholey and wonderful vegan versions of all menus are available (no less delish than the rest, which really is unusual). 

I shall be going sometime soon. If anyone fancies going with, let me know.
    They book up quickly, as there are on for so few days and have few tables.

<br>
    (it's not in Crouch End, as they suggest)