Forum home The potting shed

Anyone got experienced with seed paper?

Hi all - Strange question I'm sure but still was hoping some of you nice folks could help. My wife is a crafter and loves making cards, and has spotted 'seed paper' which you can buy as sheets. I'm the 'gardener' so she asked me about it and whether just separate seeds in an envelope would be better as she wants to make some cards that include seeds. I said I didn't know how good it would be and said I'd ask here - perhaps someone has tried it.

It simply seems to be reconstituted paper with seeds that's been set in a sheet - you can get all different sorts. It's marketed as being able to germinate without soil although not sure if I'd be game with that. For me the downsides would be the actual spacing; hard to scatter how you want and get the right spacing as it's all random in the sheet; with good old loose seeds I can place where I want!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,069
    Having used something similar (seed tape) with poor results (seeds were spaced nicely, but many failed to germinate leaving gaps), I would agree with you and include a small 'crafted' packet of seeds instead.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 889
    As far as I know, the "seed sheets " are simply one way of sowing seeds which have been spaced correctly for optimum germination - supposedly  ;)
    They may well germinate when placed in a damp tray but they will require soil to actually grow so I'd guess as a present, you may want to consider whether the recipient is a gardener or not.
    I'd go for some loose seeds with instructions together with a card.
    Others may have different experiences so worth hanging on and see what advice you can get :)
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,254
    edited 21 July
    I have had a look at this on another site as l'd never heard of it, and l think it depends on your wife's "target audience". 
    If they are experienced gardeners or people who are getting into gardening, l would be more inclined to buy Glassine type seed packets and seeds of hardy annuals (or whatever), and decant the seeds into the envelopes. I think it would be cheaper to be honest. 
    It is a lovely idea. When my nephew got married, the guests received decorated cards with a few sunflower seeds inside. I had great fun with those.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,928
    edited 21 July
    You can plant the card (and the sentiment inside). I think there is more of a nice idea than an efficient way to plant seeds. I've sent these kinds of cards many times, but never planted one and tested what happened.

There is also 'seed tape', which is a whole other thing, sold by actual seed companies like Fothergills.

If you'd like to make seed paper for cards etc, there are videos on Youtube etc. My method would be to make handmade paper (soak paper bit, mash, lay out on a large composting sieve to dry) and inset the seed inside it.

Would this be a good way to make plants grow? Probably not.  I don't know. It might depend on the type of seed. Usually you would need to use very fine seed to sit well in the paper. They might not want to be light to excluded. But handmade paper is lovely gift to give.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,545
    Have tried seed paper,seed tape, flowers and veg,zero germinated
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,255
    On Beechgrove, Carol has been using round seed sheets in pots filled with compost, seed sheet laid on top then compost sieved over to cover.  Water and watch it grow.  First lot were a success so she did a new one this week for successional sowing.

Check it out - should be on i-Player.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw