Forum home Problem solving

Hearing aids

No, nothing to do with gardening. 3 years ago I developed tinitus following a virus. Acoustic neuroma was suspected. Saw a consultant,very comprehensive tests,he said I had slight hearing loss in line with my age, nearly 71. I did a phone hearing test,which I passed, but finding I "miss hear" things. Lots of adverts for tests,aids,as soon as you type anything related in a search engine,up they come. I don't know anyone personally who wear aids (, I know plenty who should!!) Do you pay for tests,do you pay a portion of NHS ones, like dental treatment? How do you even get a test. I know they do them in Specsavers, wouldn't go there,twice gave me incorrect script and wrongly diagnosis of eye problem, different branches.. cost,? One add said "from £995,was shocked. We only have my pension,some in the paper £69. Great full to hear ( no pun intended) what you good folk are using

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,770
    My OH wears 2 hearing aids as his ears aren't the same for hearing. First he went to Specsavers who discovered his hearing wasn't the same in each ear. Free hearing test. They told him to see his GP to refer him for a scan, which he did. He went back to Specsavers with the results and GP referral and Specsavers fitted him with a hearing aid for each ear. It was all done on the NHS. He is pleased with his hearing aids, except that they get caught up in his Covid mask! They are quite discreet and I don't have to listen to the TV at full blast anymore  :D
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    Boots used to do interest free credit. They might still do it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,468
    B3, credit still wouldn't help,we only have my pension,and I don't think anyone would give me "tick" on that or my age. Boots also gave me completely the wrong script on specs once,I did get my money back. A Friend had the same different boots, different country,they refused her a refund.i thought lots of folks of a certain age on here would wear them
    Busy,do you have to pay an amount like dental treatment?
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,359
    I think you should contact your GP surgery again. They might either see you first to check there is no other problem causing your loss of hearing or they might go straight to referring you for an audiology appointment.

As far as I can make out this appt could be at a hospital or your local health authority may use one of the private providers (such as Specsavers) who conduct NHS tests free of charge.

If the test shows hearing aids would help you can then get NHS aids fitted. Unfortunately this will be a limited range of aids which are unlikely to be as discreet as the top of the range digital ones.

I don't know whether NHS aids are completely free of charge but I'm sure either Specsavers (you can ring them for information even if you don't particularly like them!) or your GP's receptionist could tell you.

The only person I know with aids is MIL. She has free tests on the NHS but opted to buy smaller 'private' hearing aids. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,386
    edited 19 July
    I wear 2 hearing aids and I have never had to pay a penny for them.
    Tests, aids, remoulds, tubing and batteries all on the NHS for the past 25 years!
    Without them I cannot hear a thing.
    Also had tinnitus for the same length of time.
    Of course with the NHS you have to have the aids you are given.
    Private ones are expensive but some aids may have extra enhancements.
    I would love a Bluetooth hearing aid one day!

I was originally referred to the Audiology Dept. at the hospital by my GP.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,770
    I've replied to your message @Nanny Beach
    OH lives in England and gets NHS treatment. I live in France. Before Covid we managed to live together in one or the other.

Specsavers tested OH on the NHS. They felt he needed a scan as different problems in both ears so he was referred to his GP. GP busy but the nurse got him the appointment for the scan on the NHS then referred him back to Specsavers who fitted him with the NHS hearing aids which work very well and are quite discreet. No paying for anything, but Covid slowed down the whole process.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,797
    I have a couple of friends, both active energetic stylish women, who both swear by their NHS hearing aids. They say they’re marvellous. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CharlotteFCharlotteF Posts: 74
    My mum has recently got new aids, with the very clever bluetooth stuff. She finds it incredibly useful for using the phone. I think she paid for them after struggling with the nhs aids. 
    I saw the GP then consultant,had CT scan,and audiology tests,he said my hearing loss was consistent with age, would probably need aids at some point. Asked if I wanted refereral to tinitus clinic, said I could manage it. Hubby  moaning,so I did phone test,which was fine.as 3 different branches of Specsavers managed to mess up eyesight  script and misdiagnosis  of eye problem not  keen on going there. I'm glad you might think I'm a stylish lady dove. I must admit the idea of ", invisible aids" inside your ears gives me the willies. But I will give them a ring,see what they come up with.