Forum home Plants

Strange growth from my blueberry bush

I bought several blueberry bushes earlier this year and one of them has a rather strange growth on the side of it. The stems are growing significantly bigger and faster than the blueberry bush itself, although the growth does appear to be coming from the blueberry plant. I have no idea whether the blueberry plant was grafted but I’m suspecting it was and that growth could be from the rootstock. Any advice on what’s going on and how to deal with it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 809
    That's unrelated to your blueberry. It's a goat willow that has self-seeded into the pot. Follow the stem down to soil level(or slightly below) and see if you can ease it out. It will out-compete your plant.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,374
    edited July 2021
    I agree and have had the same happen a couple of times.  Salix caprea seeds seem to have an affinity for germinating in blueberry pots and the leaves are quite similar.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks folks! Will do what I can but I suspect it was in with the blueberry plant when I got it as it’s a well established root. If all else fails I’ll hack it down and hope it doesn’t come back!!