Forum home The potting shed

Bioethanol fires

Anyone know anything about them? For living room.

Background. Looking at changing the living room in our new house. Old real effect fire. Thinking plain fireplace with something looking like wood burner but they're not great for the environment due to particulates if the fuel is at all wet. My partner read about bioethanol fires.

I know nothing about them and thought someone on here might. Shortcut to knowledge as I am a little Googleophobic. If that's such a thing.

Besides someone on here might be able to suggest something different and better. It's a backup heat source for the living room / dining room open plan. We don't want the hearth sticking out or a fire. It's an early 70 house with a chimney. Something to fit in the fireplace without a big, traditional  mantelpiece. It's got one with the big wood surround and synthetic stone back and hearth.

• Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 453
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,630
    The running cost is around £2 per hour according to that article and they don't seem to provide much actual heat.
    But they look nice.
    I've got a Valor Inspire 800 in the wall gas fire which produces a gentle background glow or a huge amount of heat.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,974
    We have a gas flame fire. We don't use it as it just heats pigeons ' bums
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,739
    We have a  *******electric fake log burner,they have a system called 'hydronics" you can have flame effects,2 heat settings, electric fan,which is hidden from view,better than a lot of to models. You can open the door.The Hydronic part,is you can actually plumb it into your "wet" central heating system as well. Happy to supply picture. Thought I'd better not type make, probably the biggest name in electric fires!
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 757
    We had an open fire in our living room when we moved in. Could never get it to run without smoking out the whole room, and it was a horror to clean. We had a closed gas fire installed instead, looks like a wood burning stove. Ours sits on a slate slab, but we had considered a version that would have fitted inside the fireplace. It is very efficient as an alternative or a top up to the central heating, and also provides an interesting focal point. 
    I thought that the bioethanol fires were more for aesthetics than as an efficient heat source?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,399
    If you have a decent log store your wood won't be damp which would make a wood burner fine if it's a back up to CH and not the main source of heat.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Understand the government wants wood burners,and gas fires,and boilers banned.
    even works on its side!!! Wanted a log burner,no chimney or fireplace, would have cost thousands for the building work alone,plus the fire,planning permission for the exterior pipe work, not to mention the mess. Was really glad of this (and the emersion heater) when the self condensing pipe frozen in the Beast from the East
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,660
    edited 12 July
    Is this the sort of thing?

Electric. Two flame settings and two heat/fan settings,  set almost flush into the chimney breast. A choice of  wood or coal effect. We use it occasionally on cool summer/autumn evenings when we don’t want to put the central heating on. 

Our house sounds a similar age and design to yours @NorthernJoe ... 60/70s design, pretty spacious open plan living/dining area.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Love that Dove,and the slabs.ours had an optional kit,a pipe coming out the top, to add to the realism,but we sometimes move it.