Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato blight

My four tomato plants have gone brown and need to be pulled up. They were planted in a new raised bed with a mix of soil from the compost heap and bagged compost. I have never grown tomatoes before, so how did it get here? And more importantly is there anything I can do to prevent it next year?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,349
    Blight spores are everywhere, all the time.
    They only take hold when the conditions are right for them, which is down to environmental conditions - and there's not much we can do about that (unless they're protected in a greenhouse).

Are you sure it was blight?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Well the stems went brown from the base upwards and they have now flopped over. Could be something else. it was been very wet but the soil drains well enough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,448
    The blight I've had on my toms in the past has produced grey blotches on leaves and black splotches on stems ... 

Can we see some photos please?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• photos attached

I'm afraid that is blight, so you're right to remove the plants and put them in the waste, not on the compost heap.
    What are you growing them in?
    It looks like the tin I make a sponge pudding in :)
  • Oh dear, well never mind.  The strawberries are a disaster this year as well. Too wet and not enough sun i suppose. That is gardening I suppose. The failures make the successes all the sweeter. Peas have done well and the raspberries are coming on. Hopeful for the runner beans.

But what is it not too late to plant veg wise? (I am pretty new to veg growing)
    My strawberries have been hopeless this year too.
    Masses of leaves and just a few berries that slugs have munched on.
    I've had 5 so far... :(
    You could probably plant some dwarf French beans and hope the weather improves.
    I sowed my 3rd batch just last week - the slugs have eaten most of the previous ones, and I've not had a single lettuce this year - slugs have had the lot
  • That a great idea. i love french beans in salads.

Some of our strawberries rotted in the wet before they ripened. Might stick to raspberries. As I understand it they are basically a weed so pretty resilient 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,448
    Now is the ideal time to sow oriental leaf vegetables ... Pak Choi, mizuna, mustard leaf etc

https://www.theenglishgarden.co.uk/expert-advice/gardeners-tips/5-easy-oriental-vegetables-sow-now/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,368
    Bulb fennel sowing time now, too.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.