Forum home The potting shed

What can I do with unpleasantly sweet ordinary potatoes?

B3B3 Posts: 18,979
I've kept new potatoes too long in the fridge and I find them unpleasantly sweet. They've been steamed in their jackets.
What can I do with them from cold?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,663
    What a shame. Potatoes should never be kept in the fridge. It turns the starches into sugars. 😞 
    not sure what you can do with them … maybe cooked, sliced and fried so that some of the sugars are caramelised … that might work with maple-cured bacon and fried tomatoes sort of thing? 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 18,979
    edited 2 July
    I thought the instructions on the bag were a bit strange but hey ho  give it a go. They were best before 17/ 6 so they've been sugaring up for a while.I
    Lesson learnt. Thanks @Dovefromabove
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,400
    I'd make a potato salad with a tart dressing including capers and chives and spring onions and maybe a dollop of horseradish.  That'd sort 'em!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    That'd learn em!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,588
    If you hadn't already cooked them I'd say put them in a curry with a good sharp ingredient like tamarind.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,270
    I agree with dove, slice them and fry them in some butter, top with bacon and egg (if that's to your taste) and call them breakfast.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,139
    There are some good cakes with sweet pots. Like with courgette or beetroot cake, it acts like a binder.

Different kind of sweet potato @fire .🤔
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,139
    give it a go anyway...