Forum home The potting shed

Joint pain at night but not in the day?

Does anyone have any experience of post op pain which comes on at night but isn't present during the day. My wife had a full knee replacement about eight weeks ago and is progressing well however she is getting intense pain like cramp which keeps her awake at night the pain isn't so bad during the day, is there any rhyme or reason for this, is it all in the head, is their a way to prevent this night pain? Thanks for any information if you have had this operation or are a medical person.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,314
    Apologies I noticed that I have spelt "there" incorrectly but every time I press the cog to correct it I get an advert pop up?
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,354
    No!  It's not all in the head!  Probably just the sleeping position.  But it IS very painful.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,804
    Partly positional,and partly because gentle movement during the day eases pain
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,422
    I have a pre op arthritic knee which often throbs at night when I'm trying to sleep but is quieter by day.   I find that having a cushion under it when I'm lying flat helps reduce pain and having the cushion under my feet helps reduce pressure on my knee and reduces pain when I curl up on my side.    A friend of mine who had her new knee last summer was given all sorts of advice about sleeping positions and aids as well as intensive physio sessions after the op and these continued when she was sent home, reducing and changing over time.

I suggest your wife contact the surgical team and/or physios involved for advice.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    She has asked and been told that it will get better but its very puzzling why it's only at night it doesn't seem to make sense.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx Thanks I'll show her that article but she has loads of pillows including the wedged one and I'm sure that she has tried every position.
    Yes thanks she had a read and liked the idea of the knee wedge with a strap to keep it in place but after surfing the net she has ordered a foam wedge which is cut out for the leg to sit in and keep the leg immobile, with all of these things you never know if they will work until you try them but as she will be having the other knee replaced in the future it will be worth getting.
    I hope it does the trick.   
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 783
    I think there is an element of distraction during the day as well. Pain becomes much more to the forefront when there is nothing else to take your mind off it.