Forum home Problem solving

Solar Powered Pond Pump

Have acquired a garden pond with Goldfish which is in need of a revamp.
Could anyone tell me if they have had any success with a solar powered pond pump to circulate the water please?
If so recommendations welcome. Looking for quality above all.
Thanks 

• myclayjunglemyclayjungle Coastal Suffolk/Essex borderPosts: 87
    I recently bought a solar powered fountain for bird bath. Not sure if its the same as a pump, but it circulates the water and you can attach different heads for different water features.  Its 6.5W, works on a cloudy day, and for about 4hrs after dark!
    Its £28.05 currently on amazon.

AISITIN Solar Fountain Pump 6.5W Panel Backup Solar Water Pump Floating Fountain. 

• SueAtooSueAtoo DorsetPosts: 251
    I think solar powered pumps are really only for aerating/oxygenating the water. On a really humid night (not that we get very many) a pond can lose oxygen overnight when pump isn't working. Depending on the size of your pond you may need something to recirculate and clean the water via filters.
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 333
    I had a chat to the very pleasant and knowledgeable man at Maidenhead Aquatics this morning and he said pretty much exactly what you just have so I think I will go with something wired in.
    Thanks for post. Nice to have confirmation from someone else. 👍
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,169
    I have one in my wildlife pond,  its fantastic! 5w I believe about £20 on eBay.... frogs take a shower in it!
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,169

Pump is in the pond plant,  can't ready see it but they love it
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 333
    Nice 👍
  • SueAtoo said:
    I think solar powered pumps are really only for aerating/oxygenating the water. On a really humid night (not that we get very many) a pond can lose oxygen overnight when pump isn't working. Depending on the size of your pond you may need something to recirculate and clean the water via filters.
    We have a 4x2m pond which is a max 300mm deep. No plants or pump  at the moment apart from pond weed. The tadpoles and newts love it and are thriving. Tadpoles are now mostly frogs and toads. Clearly it should lack oxygenation so what are the signs?
  • Think carefully about where you plan to set up the solar-powered pond pump before buying one. The installation location is a significant factor when deciding on the solar pond pump’s model and power. Distinct locations will necessitate separate installations as well as pumping capacity.