Forum home The potting shed

What plants do you love? And why?

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,809
Thought this would be a lovely positive thread for people to talk about their beloved plants and the reasons why, colour or scent maybe? Or happy memories associated with that plant? Maybe you love a plant that you feel should be better known and appreciated and want to convert us? 

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,113
    Ornamental grasses, they look attractive and graceful for such a long period. I also really, really like asters, if we're allowed to include symphyotrichum and eurybia in that category. Obviously, not as keen on the novi-belgii types that are so susceptible to mildew. Another plant I love is Persicaria, especially amplexicaulis. Again, a hugely long period of interest and the bees love it. And there's something I love about Eupatorium. I think it reminds me of the wild Hemp Agrimony I grew up seeing by the canal, and I love the scale of the plants, which always seem to look healthy. They have really good winter skeletons too.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,130
    I love most plants, if they grow for me they stay but my favourites are Penstemons, purely for the fact that slugs don’t eat them.  Also geraniums for the same reason. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,153
    I love most plants too, not keen on grasses though.

I love roses because of the beautiful flowers and the scent. I love Penstemons, Poppies, Lupins, Aquilegias, Campanulas, Foxgloves, Delphiniums, Clematis - in fact all the cottage garden sort of flowers.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,505
    edited 28 June
    I have a short list at the moment of what I think of 'wonder plants' in my garden; practical rather than with romantic associations.

Salvia Royal Bumble: great colour - a strong dark red that doesn't fade or go pink, aromatic leaves which is a nice quality by a path or front door, hardy mostly in the south, flowers from May to the frosts, beloved by bumble bees (hence the name), easy to take cuttings, good to make a hedge or for a small pot or anything in between, will take some shade, drought tolerant, looks after itself,  not touched by slugs, lasts well as a cut flower

Woodruff: will live and spread anywhere from full fun to the driest shade, good and quick ground cover against cats, slugs don't touch it, evergreen

Welsh poppies: perennial, slugs don't touch it, great colour, drought tolerant, self seeds, bees love them

Diascia: colour all summer long, easy from cuttings, goes on for years, slugs don't touch it
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,374
    Diascia is one of my favourites too. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    I love Acer palmatum dissectum as they are so graceful when they grow up.

Certain types of Astrantia is another fav as well as some varieties of Hydrangeas.

I also love Allium Mount Everest.

Would love to have a nice climbing rose one day too.
  • Mariam_86Mariam_86 Posts: 79
    Another vote for Acer palmatums.

Red hot poker plants - I have the ‘Papaya Popsicle’ variety. The foliage is evergreen, elegant and compact, it looks like grass. 

Alliums - even after they have flowered, their seed heads add height and elegance to a garden. 

Fruit trees - the miracle of watching a flower turn into a fruit…

• AngelicantAngelicant CheshirePosts: 82
    Love my Ceanothus and Photinia and all the other evergreens, not least for the colour and privacy in the winter and I look forward to the pelargoniums on my sunny garage wall as it reminds me of holidays (remember them) to Majorca. Pink hardy Geranium because it flowers all summer. Hotlips Salvia (and all the other Salvias) because the slugs tend to leave them alone. My favourite self seeder this year (so far) is pink and purple Toadflax that I have let go. Cut some yesterday along with some Iceberg and New Dawn roses for the flowers for my neices funeral today. Soon it will probably be my purple/white lacecap hydrangea. It got cut back last year as it had gone out of shape due to the Pyracantha next door squashing it so I only had three blooms. This year it is covered in buds. I don't dislike any plants really, they all have their place and we are all different. I called at my aunt's house last week and her garden is exactly the same as it has been for years, rows of French marigolds and Begonias and lots of bare earth. Not for me at all but she loves it.☺️☺️
  • gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 274
    I love tall plants, hollyhock, verbena b, foxglove. Also roses and geum especially Mrs Bradshaw.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,044
    One could argue that fruit trees and Acers aren't plants they are trees,but after reading what everyone hates, one of my long term friends hates paeonies. Too many to list,but old fashioned highly scented repeat flowering roses, honeysuckle, getting "into" clematis now. Tried to grow London Pride,can't think of the"correct name," our front  garden was full of it as a kid, reminds me of my late lovely Mum, rarely see it in garden centres or nurseries. Also got very into cactus dahlias a couple of years back, probably got about 25 now