Forum home The potting shed

When neighbourly relations break down

amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,292
edited 24 June in The potting shed
Just saw this article about this low level dispute in Sheffield https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/24/cut-down-fir-tree-becomes-sheffield-attraction-after-neighbour-dispute

it just makes you wonder how disconnected with nature we can be, when some birds nesting in a conifer cause such annoyance to mutilate the plant in this ridiculous way. What for, some droppings and "noise"?  
To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,056
    I didn't think you were allowed to disturb nesting birds. Im an ',*expert," on neighbourhood problems! I think the problem is we are too soft, polite, reasonable,but it doesn't pay to fall out with them
  • DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 169
    I thought it was very sad for the birds and the tree. People are sometimes just so petty and nasty. My guess is that the birds were pooping on the car.. :|
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,292
    It's surprising a tree surgeon would go ahead if there's a nest there...but most people really don't understand they're nominally protected while there.  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,324
    I saw this yesterday and thought - just move the car a bit further up the drive. They've got loads of room   :)
    We are now a '2 car family', which means mine is near the conifer which is full of birds at all times of year. It's a vital bit of cover for them.  Pigeon poop is a regular feature. Just means I have to get off my a*se and wash it a bit more often. 

Fortunately, I don't have anyone next to me on that side though. The owner of the tree should have it felled - then plant a nice big oak a couple of feet further along.  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 832
    Oh what a shame!  So what if there's a bit of bird muck on a car, its only a car it'll wash off!  

Is there any kind of punishment for doing this while birds are nesting?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,175
    The article didn't say that birds were nesting in the tree, the poster inferred it.

Bird poop is well known for ruining the paintwork (contains ammonia) on a car unless it it is washed off immediately and if it'd dried on is quite difficult to remove - I know, we have lots of flying seagull poop round here!
    Besides which, I can't even reach the top of the car. :#

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,056
    Gulls here to
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,292
    Isn't it great that there are actual special coatings for new cars nowadays that stop any damage from bird poop? And they do work as we found out the other day.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,152
    Lizzie27 said:
    The article didn't say that birds were nesting in the tree, the poster inferred it.

Bird poop is well known for ruining the paintwork (contains ammonia) on a car unless it it is washed off immediately and if it'd dried on is quite difficult to remove - I know, we have lots of flying seagull poop round here!
    Besides which, I can't even reach the top of the car. :#

A Step ladder perhaps or a taller OH  ;)

FlyDragon said:
    Oh what a shame!  So what if there's a bit of bird muck on a car, its only a car it'll wash off!  

Is there any kind of punishment for doing this while birds are nesting?
    I think even developers who ignore the law are rarely prosecuted so I doubt whether a private householder will need to be too concerned.
    It's a law which can be safely ignored by everyone more's the pity.

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 1,017
    I saw that - such a shame.  I once parked under a lime tree - now that doesn't help the paintwork at all!