Forum home Tools and techniques

Compost bin location

• FireFire LondonPosts: 11,543
    You do need drainage holes or the leachate has nowhere to go.
  • delskidelski Posts: 274
    The waste that I put in my dustbin was mostly almost completely composted and there was no leachate from that final stage. Isn't most of the leachate produced at early stages of composting?
    yes
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 807
    @Fire I have a couple of those old school dustbins, with the holes in the base, and they are really useful for storing 'stuff'.  But would be much easer to manage.

When it comes to getting stuff out the compost dalek, when it's done.  I just lift the entire dalek, and spade out.  That's the easy bit.  Storage is what I'm having the most trouble with.  Every pot I have has something in it.
  • Just an update... I've just got a bin from TrashNothing today. It was one of the dalek ones with doors - I hear what you're saying about them, but it was free and I haven't caused more plastic to be made, so I'm happy with it. I have put it by my hedge and put as much waste as I had in it, so will see what happens! thanks again for all your comments :-)
  • IgrowfromseedIgrowfromseed Posts: 263
    My top tip would be get a tumbling one. I find the square ones eventually become just too difficult to turn and also get the compost out of it can be pretty thought too. 
    If you can’t turn it properly and get the air in you won’t get good compost. 
    Interesting article in the Saturday telegraph quoting a study on management of compost bins. They were looking at temperatures reached and end result. Turning the compost made no difference and the larger the pile of compost the higher the internal temp.
    Growing concerns
    http://digitaleditions.telegraph.co.uk/data/606/reader/reader.html?social#!preferred/0/package/606/pub/606/page/153/article/175737
    It's interesting that the article says that 70oC was nowhere near hot enough to kill pathogens and weed seeds. I suspect 'very hot weed seed killing compost bins" are a bit of a myth.

In terms of turning compost, the article was focussed just on heat. Heat is not everything. I have small bins and they rarely get above 40oC but still work fine. But they really do need turning because otherwise the material gets too compacted, and therefore anaerobic, therefore smelly, wet and not transforming - stuck. I find that emptying one rubbish bin into another once is enough to fully aerate the lot in one go. At that time I can take out the finished compost, remove foreign or unlikely objects and sort any problems, maybe add more browns like wood chip if needed, before the final stage.

This might be a different process to a huge free standing pile with lots of big woody bits like hedging that creates lots of air pockets. I don't use that kind of thing as they take to long to break down and I don't have a chipper.

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,254
    @Fire don't break my little composting heart by saying the heat is pointless 😭😭😭, I'm not swayed either way as to high temps killing seeds and pathogens though I know I wouldn't last long in my bins with temps in high 80°c for several weeks 🥵🥵.

On the point of turning compost, if I didn't do it regularly I couldn't produce the amount I do. The heaps go cold rapidly as they consume the available oxygen so fast then temperatures drop off, turn again and they heat up fast again. I'm pretty certain if I tried adding the quantity of grass clippings I use to a coldish bin they would turn to sludge.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,192
    edited 22 June
    It is a myth that a compost heap consumes all the available oxygen. The available oxygen is essentially infinite due to diffusion, only a hermetically sealed chamber could result in oxygen depletion.
    The article doesn't say that 70C isn't high enough to kill weeds, it says that none of the smaller heaps got anywhere near hot enough to do that. The large heap was the one which got to 70C which will be hot enough. A highly insulated small bin can also reach high temperatures but the usual wooden bins and plastic daleks won't.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,436
    I don't put noxious weeds or weeds with seeds on in the compost bins. Bindweed, ivy, field thistle, dandelion roots, dock roots, all go to the council in the black bin.  I shred all tree cuttings (Except the elm shoots that blunt the blades), beech, hawthorn, elder, brambles along with kitchen waste, mix it all up with grass cuttings , and away it goes. It gets hot. ( i haven't put a thermometer on it. ) It then drops in size by about half. If I only get grass cuttings next time, I mix the half decomposed stuff in and then it heats up again.  I empty small daleks by lifting the bin off like a jelly mould. I use big black tardis square type for storage as the holes in the allow it to dry out too much.  Dustbins are good for comfrey tea and nettle tea.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3