Forum home The potting shed

Could someone help selecting plants for this planter?

I just had a memorial planter made and will be going to a nursery in next few days but haven't got a clue what combination of plants to look for, it's only a short planter. I would like to attract bees/butterflies and I read they prefer purple flowers (which I also love).  With regards the soil - I have some compost but also have some leaf mold - should I mix some of this in with the compost or does that depend on what I'm planting?  I also have a packet of 'Forget-me-not' seeds, should I plant those up in a separate pot?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,780
    Hello @ren.b  and welcome to the forum 😊 
    What a lovely planter. 

It will help us to make some suggestions if we know how often it can be watered and deadheaded etc. and also whether it will be placed in full sun, or in partial shade. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ren.bren.b Posts: 98
    Sorry, didn't think of that .... it will get some sun in the morning (when it's out) and then partial shade, still not sure of how often to water pots but can do daily if needed as it will be on the patio against the house wall so sheltered against wind, can deadhead as much as needed (not sure about this but usually wait until the flowers have bloomed and start to curl up - is that right?)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,792
    It is lovely, not sure of the size looking at it. Nepeta, lavender, alliums in the autumn for next year. Pansies.
    Is nepeta a type of catmint? I love alliums - thought of lavender too, easier to control in a pot - it's just a small container, I did drive past a gardening place today and got a few bits - will plant up and post it here when done.  thanks Nanny Beach x
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,792
    Yes nepeta is catmint. You can also get lovely mauvey/blue miniature irises,which would flower before the alliums,don't know the name of the variety
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,780
    edited 22 June
    Ooh yes … Iris reticulata.  

And you could put lots of the smaller species type crocus in there. Snow Bunting is a good one. Plant them at the bottom and put lots in and they’ll fill the container with flowers in February/March. 

Crocus Snow Bunting
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

These are the plants I picked up yesterday, I have a few gaps in my rockery for anything left over but I did find a photo of an arrangement I liked (will post first) which is why I picked the 'Osteopermum' (even though mine isn't a 'Serenity Dark Purple' and couldn't find any purple hebe so got the variagated 'Plectanthrus' for a bit of colour variety ... am trying to figure out what to put where - the dimensions of the bench are quite small
    64cm long (25in) 
    42cm high (16.5in) 
    25cm deep (9.8in)
    This is the look I was trying to go for .....

and these are the plants I bought ....

I know I've got far too many for such a small planter and not sure how many of the Osteopermum to use, would like to use the verbena and the plectranthus - any ideas on positioning?
    They didn't have a single catmint plant - can you believe it?  Am going to a bigger garden centre so will have a look there, I'm not sure if the one's I've bought are annuals or perennials (not that i know the difference lol). I am currently desperately trying to find a gardener who knows their stuff but keep getting let down ... in the meanwhile I am photographing my established plants, trying to identify them and doing a folder of information by looking them up on the RHS site and printing it all off.  It is going to take me a LONG time ..... :D