Forum home The potting shed

Fatsia Japonica loosing it's yellow leaves

I need help please with my Fatsia which is suffering from continuous yellowing of it's leaves. I twice have wiped all leaves down with water and an insecticidal soap. I take off the yellow leaves as soon as I see them. It may be an infection which I haven't identified, so may not be treating it correctly. It's been growing happily in the garden in partial shade for many years. The soil is good and I nourish each year. Any advice will be welcomed as don't know what to do next.Any advice will be

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,089
    How many of its leaves are like this? Evergreens do shed their leaves, and when that happens they will go yellow before dropping off. Usually they do it in dribs and drabs but sometimes they will shed a load of them to make way for new growth.
  • I take off a few each day. At the moment there are about 5 I will need to take off, I took a pic so you can see that the other surrounding leaves do look healthy. I have had to take off and destroy quite a lot of the new growth / new leaves at the top this year.  I was wondering when looking at the back of the leaf if I was missing a fungal  or mould that may be affecting it but I can't identity what it could be.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,692
    They always shed old leaves and grow new ones. Nothing to worry about if the rest is healthy. If there's a bit of overcrowding from other plants, which affects the airflow around them, that can make it worse, but it looks  fine everywhere else in your pic  :)

They always look particularly bad after winter. I often have to take a load off in spring. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks so much. I was getting a bit concerned about it. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,612
    Is it just that one branch that's losing its leaves? If it is, I would take it off right back to the ground.