Forum home The potting shed

Huge fungus appeared on very old apple tree

Hi A huge fungus has grown on my very old Apple tree.
Does anyone know what it is ?  and will it do the tree any harm ? How do I get rid of it ?

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,279
    The slugs have had a right go at that havn't they! I think it's Inonotus hispidus Shaggy Bracket fungus. And I'm afraid it's bad news for the tree, It may last a few more years but it's days are numbered, there isn't any way to remove the fungus from the tree, the bit you see there is only the fruit, the main body of the fungus is deep inside the wood.
  • What a shame. The tree is really old and has been fruiting with abundance. Thank you
  • Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 298
    edited 21 June
    I've got the same fungus on mine gerry, and whilst I'm not dissing Skandi's response, advice on here last year was that the fungus might not be deadly.  I've had a quick Google and it seems to be much worse when it attacks ash trees. 
    Certainly, it's been appearing for years on our tree, which looks pretty robust even if we get very little fruit because another type of mould gets the fruit before we do.

• Thank you Rob, that is not such bad news.
    We had decided to keep the tree as long as possible anyway, but this may be better news.
    Our tree is over 70 years old too, does it only hit the very old trees ?
    Gerry
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,130
    Bracket fungi don't really harm the living parts of the tree, they infect the dead heartwood of the tree.  As it rots, the trunk and any infected branches lose their strength and will eventually fall in a strong wind or even just randomly.  There lies a potential issue;  Is it sited where that could be a problem?  If not, enjoy it for as long as it lasts, which could be quite a long time!  :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,228
    I believe old trees tend to host more flora and fauna as they die then when at the peak of health.