Forum home The potting shed

Skinny little seedlings.

BMLBML Posts: 146

I sowed some Antirrhinum seed rather late and as they are so small and the packet was so generous my seed tray is packed with them. The problem is that they looked so small that I thought pricking them out singly was rather futile. The question I wish to ask is does it work if one plants little bunches of the seedlings, say six or so at a time?

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,763
    A picture would be helpful,but I sow everything (apart from peas and beans) in quarter trays,I don't thin out,we had a fantastic germination of them as well this year, I just teased them apart and put them in their final pots.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,002
    They are tiny. I was surprised how small when I grew them last year. Thin them out and they'll grow. Despite the hard frosts this winter, some have even  survived to make large bushy plants this year
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,935
    They are small,  don’t prick out until they are about 2” tall, then separately in 2/3” pots.  They’ll soon grow on, no need to pick out the middles, they’ll bush up on their own, they may not flower this year as you were late sowing but they will next year and the one after. 
    Depending on how much growth they make this year, you may need to overwinter and plant out next Spring. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BMLBML Posts: 146
    Many thanks.