Forum home The potting shed

Is there a less invasive, aquatic/pond version of horsetail?

We moved house and this has appeared all around pond. Currently 8 inches tall. Hoped it was a pond plant because Id never seen it in the weedy garden we inherited last move.

From posts on this site it looks like horsetail but I thought Id read somewhere else that there might be a less invasive aquatic version of horsetail? I cant tell if that one ONLY grows INSIDE pond, and if it looks like this?

I suppose I need to get rid of it just in case, do you think? Ive read all great advice here on how to 'control it'. Am really just hoping someone can cheer me up by saying its the less invasive version (which Im actually thinking now I might have made up).Thanks 😁

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,679
    No - that's the invasive one. Equisetum for a pond has sturdy upright canes that are about pencil thickness. 
    I don't have a photo of mine, but here's a link to a site which sells it so that you can see the difference  :)

https://www.devonpondplants.co.uk/plant-shop/?swoof=1&product_tag=evergreen&ap=e-h
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• liz100liz100 Posts: 14
    edited 18 June
    Thank you so much Fairygirl.

I see from the link what you mean. It was a bit misleading me saying that it was 'just' around pond because the rest of the garden is lawn and gravel-covered membrane. Im thinking that soon this stuff is going to be poking through that as well. 

PS Well done on picking such a gorgeous place to live (from your profile pic?). It looks slightly familiar from husbands monroe-bagging photos.I bet its amazing there today. Thanks again! 😁
    It's from a hill up next to Loch Quoich. Your husband may well have done it - Sgurr a Mhaoraich. I don't actually live there - it would be a bit tricky  ;)
    I'm just home from some of the Crianlarich hills. Lovely today -slightly different from the weather last weekend. 
    The problem with the ordinary horsetail is that it will get into ponds too. It will also get through your gravel - it often travels underneath as well, and then comes up at the edges. Bl**dy awful stuff to get rid of. You can only do your best with it.  :/

• liz100liz100 Posts: 14
    I had visions of a Fairygirl living in a little converted workers cottage in a wood at the bottom of a scottish mountain....oh no, thats just my fantasy-version life 😄....never mind ,back to reality to pull out this horsetail. Thanks again!
     :D 

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 873
    Fairygirl said:
    It's from a hill up next to Loch Quoich. Your husband may well have done it - Sgurr a Mhaoraich. I don't actually live there - it would be a bit tricky  ;)
    I'm just home from some of the Crianlarich hills. Lovely today -slightly different from the weather last weekend. 
    The problem with the ordinary horsetail is that it will get into ponds too. It will also get through your gravel - it often travels underneath as well, and then comes up at the edges. Bl**dy awful stuff to get rid of. You can only do your best with it.  :/
    Ah, Crianlarich…I've many happy being up there, when I lived in Scotland. 
    Rooting for them in the Euros tonight!
    I'm very fond of the Crianlarich hills. An Caisteal [where I was today] is one of my favourites.  :)
    I suppose I should support 'my ' team [although I'm half English] but I expect they'll get cuffed  ;)

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 873
    Stranger things have happened!