Forum home The potting shed

Runner Vs french bean

Hi, newbie to veg growing here.  I am growing runner beans and climbing french beans and forgot to label my pots. I now have a fair number of plants pretty much ready To plant out but I don't know which are which! Any way to tell the difference and if not can I plant them around the same wigwam?! Thanks in advance :)

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,968
    I’m growing both,  seeds sown at the same time, the runners are much bigger than the French, leaves and height, but then that could be to do with the varieties.
    can you take a photo of both ? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• rookie79rookie79 Posts: 15

Now I think they are well and truly mixed up. They all look the same?! Sorry I posted in the wrong section I realised but don't know if possible to move :)
    My definite runner beans started earlier...front two from seed by myself, others bought as wee plants from garden centre. Something seems to have happened to the garden centre plants but some of them appear to be recovering....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,968
    Difficult to say but runners usually have bigger leaves,  they are best sown in deep pots, indoors and not put out until at least the start of June, I sowed mine on the 10th May and planted out 10th June. 
    All will be revealed when you get some flowers and the pods.  Don’t let them dry  out, so if you don’t get rain, keep them well watered.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Ok thanks.  I'm just not sure how to position them when I plant them out.  Hopefully I have a better idea when they're a bit bigger.  Thanks for the help :) I'll learn!
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,129
    They will be quite happy scrambling up the same structures together, no need to worry about mixing them up.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,387
    My runner beans have hairier leaves than the french beans.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,382
    I always grow them mixed up, as I have one A-frame style double row and I like both. I prefer French beans but like some runners for variety and tradition, so I grow about 60:40. They intertwine completely but there's no mistaking which is which when the pods form. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero