Forum home The potting shed

Hazel Contorta

WallflowerBryWallflowerBry Posts: 24
edited 16 June in The potting shed
Hello Everyone
This is my first post in the GW forum but I've been lurking for quite a while now mining a lot of the copious amounts of information available and I have a question that I hope someone with tree knowledge can answer form me.  I have a corkscrew hazel that has been living in a 10" pot for the last eight years or so and will no doubt be pretty pot bound although it still looks healthy enough.  I now have a space available in the garden for it.  I was wondering what the best time of year will be to transplant it to give it the best chance. 

I'm not sure if I've posted this in the correct forum. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,891
    Hi @WallflowerBry - it'll certainly be needing moved on!
    You can plant anything potted at any time as long as the ground isn't frozen or waterlogged, so you can certainly get it in the ground now. Just make sure it's thoroughly watered beforehand [you may need to immerse it in another container to get it well dampened ] get a good big hole well prepped for it, and then make sure it doesn't go short of water over the next few months. 
    You'll probably have to tease out the roots too, before planting it out. They'll likely be going round and round and be well stuck in there.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Wow! That was quick Fairygirl.  Thank you very much.   :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,891
    Hopefully it will do well for you. There's one near me which looks good in winter  :)

I was just contemplating getting some lunch when I saw your post   ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,127
    edited 16 June
    We have had one for many years in the ground. Lovely plant.
    Just keep an eye out for the possible suckers near ground level as these will be "straight" growths. Remove them.
  • We have had one for many years in the ground. Lovely plant.
    Just keep an eye out for the possible suckers near ground level as these will be "straight" growths. Remove them.
    Thank you for the tip.