Forum home Problem solving

Fatsia japonica 'Spider's Web'

A newbie here !
I planted 2 of these about 2 weeks ago and they seem to be struggling (see pics - dying leaves and dropping) They’re in a partial shade/ shade position in reasonable soil but had some bonemeal added to planting holes and a good watering. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated and will they recover? Many thanks 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    Spiders web is a fussy plant to get going and they are not as hardy as the green variety so I think the changes in temperature will have affected it.
    https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/fatsia-japonica-spiders-web/classid.2000020976/

• parksey069parksey069 Posts: 7
    Thanks K67 so I assume it will bounce back when it gets a bit warmer? In the meantime time should I cut off the brown shrivelled up leaves or just leave them?
    Thanks again.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    I would leave them on until this cold snap passes as they will give a bit of protection to the plant as fatsia grow from the top. I expect they will drop off of their own accord when new growth starts.
    Lower leaves do die off as the plant grows and it can reach up to 8ft x 8ft
    Great thanks very much 
  • crgnnncrgnnn YorkshirePosts: 12
    As others have said, not as hardy as the standard fatsia, though I don't think the recent frosts have been bad enough to cause any lasting damage.
    Further to my post back in April when I planted two Spiders Web’s the consensus why it was dropping/browning was due to the late frosts we had and that it should recover. However the attached pics suggest otherwise? With a lot of the leaves white & curled. They are planted in partial shade (morning sun), soil not great but planted with bonemeal and watered regularly. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can help these plants recover / thrive?
    Thanks in advance 
    Danny
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,308
    They just aren't hardy - it's that simple. They need protection in winter unless you live in a very mild part of the country. If they've been frosted for any length of time, it'll take a long time for them to recover. If you can beef up the soil with some decent compost on a regular basis [ as you said the soil wasn't great ] that will be better than having to  feed them too. It's fairly normal for new growth on these plants to look very different from the mature foliage - the green ones are the same. Excess sun, especially in very hot spells, will tend to bleach them too. 

They're slow growing - much slower than the green one - so it'll be a while before they reach even a metre or so. Patience is needed  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,379
    It's apparently normal on that variety for some of the leaves to be more white than others, see https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=5663 for example. I'm thinking perhaps the white parts are more sensitive to strong morning sun and it might be happier in dappled shade.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,308
    Yes - they're plants for shade, not hot sun. Even the green ones get bleached if it's too hot.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 482
    I have one of these, and they look fine to me. They are variegated, so the leaves are white/green. The new leaves look curled as they open - they take a while to completely unfurl. I think you just need to keep watering and be patient.

I think you said they are in partial shade - watch out for direct sun. As said above, they don't like it!