Forum home Problem solving

What is this growing between my paving slabs

Hi I was looking for something to grow between the cracks in my paving slabs and then I saw this. Not sure what it is but would like to plant some more because it seems to be doing the job. Also does anyone know if this grows all all or should I try something else? I put some thyme and mind your own business in a few other areas but I don’t really like it. I prefer something that remains flat. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,160
    Hello georgiapetrou77. Your little plant is sagina subulata or heath pearlwort is its common name. You can buy it from several outlets.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,831
    edited 14 June
    If you don't like MYOB I would dig all of it out and dustbin it asap.

I have grass between my paving. It stays low and works well. 
  • Thank you Laybird4 you know your stuff :)  I will try to find some.
  • I know MYOB spreads like crazy but I've had it for 3 years now and it hasn't been a problem. I just don't think it looks good between paving slabs, it looks a bit too bushy. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    edited 14 June
    I was wondering what it was. Cracks between paving slabs are boring without weeds.. Sometimes you get nice stuff and sometimes you don't. I like it.  
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 864
    Depending on how much sun reaches the slabs, how about camomile?
    Ive got a version that’s creeping and very flat lying, smells wonderful when brushed but doesn’t flower.
  • I was just reading about camomile online and it actually looks closer to what I’m looking for.  I could even use it to make tea  :) 
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 574
    I am going to try Mentha requienii (Corsican mint) for this purpose.
  • ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 522
    Nooooo !   If I see any greenery in the gaps between my paving stones I have to hoick it out !  I have 2 sharp “implements” which work a treat.  I like the groomed look.

not very good for insects I know, but I compensate in other areas of the garden.
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 574
    I quite like the intermingling of patio with plants and have given over one row of slabs to plant life. Below Erigeron, Aceana, Salvia, Campanula, Verbena and Oenothera grow in the small space between the slabs. In the next row it is mainly Sagina subulata. It is a fairly neglected look :)