Forum home The potting shed

Before and after .....Gardening saves the day!

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,390
It's a long complictaed saga but 4 years ago, on a shoestring I bought a property in France with a dream of creating an English Tearoom. Today, I was taking pictures of the latest 'improvement' a sunshade/raincover. As we prepare to open after 7 long months of closure due to Covid  I realised how far we have actually come. The garden has become integral in the success of the Tearoom and gardening has what has got me through 'lockdown/confinement and all the stress and strain related to it. It's a backdrop that creates a lovely relaxed atmosphere, it's a safe area for kids to play whilst parents relax, it's a place to escape from a busy world with a cup of tea and a slice of cake, it softens the hard world we live in and is a reason to get up n the morning, even if it is just to check if the slugs have eaten our precious plants....I am so looking forward to re-opening after such a long time and welcoming guests back into my garden. The dream has become a reality, thank goodness for the love of gardening.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/CZPdbKpLkUkMVF6j6
"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

• CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 284
    It looks lovely, good luck with your reopening. Did you speak french when you moved there? Or do you now if you didn't? 
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,857
    You’ve come so far @D0rdogne_Damsel, and what you have created is amazing.  You are an inspiration.  Good luck with the re-opening ....wish I could come for tea and cake in the jardin of CdeG 🍰🫖
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,112
    A true success story, would love to be there for the re-opening.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • AthelasAthelas Posts: 425
    Looks fantastic, enjoy the reopening!
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 1,017
    What an amazing achievement!  Here's to a successful reopening and a long and fruitful season.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,390
    Thank you all for your kind comments, wouln't it be nice if we could all' take tea' together. I have had wonderful support from so many posters on here, gardening related and other. :)

@Crazybeelady, in answer to your question about speaking French, I had O'level French and 'holiday' French when I arrived.

I joined every social club I could, dancing, running, walking club, I volunteered in my son's school and taught English in a local comunity centre to adults and children and volunteered in a charity shop. For about a year or so I just listened, listened and listened... eventually I started to understand what what was going on around me. I also went to French classes in the same community centre where I taught, 4 days a week at times, beginner, intermediate, advanced and conversation class. The slow and at times, painful process of opening the Tearoom certainly added to my vocabulary and of course once we opened I spent a great deal of time just talking French all day long so it has got so much better now, 4 years on.

As good as that sounds, my son (age 13 now and bilingual) still often says "mum, you don't say it like that" ..... in that teenage, I am so embarrased tone of voice, with facial expressions and head shakes to match. :blush::'(  :smiley:
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,916
    Well done. 
    We all had every confidence in you from the start. 
    Hugs to you both.
    Devon.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,390
    Thank you @Hostafan1, hugs for you too, if nothing else to keep you warm.  :smiley:
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,916
    Thank you @Hostafan1, hugs for you too, if nothing else to keep you warm.  :smiley:
    Hugs are always welcome .
    Devon.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,861
    Congratulations. You have been amazing.