Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato and courgette leaves help

Hello!

I wondered whether anyone would be able to give an idea as to what might be wrong with my tomato and courgette plants, whose leaves are speckly and varying in colour. They were grown indoors until I moved them out into the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago so it may just be cold weather related. They are growing in Dobbies peat-free compost but I’m not yet convinced about the quality of it 🤔 

Thank you!

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,713
    It might be too cold for it to take up certain nutrients?  
    Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,279
    From what I can see it’s the older leaves that are affected. The new leaves look perfectly fine so I wouldn’t worry. 

My tomatoes and squashes behave like that every year and are perfectly fine. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,009
    I don't panic if it's lower leaves find my tomato plants always complain when they are potted on,my courgettes also look like that moved to frost free green house this week
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,009
    .mind you, I sow early and even some of my tomatoes have flowers, the courgettes have a huge amount of buds and flowers are out
  • lucy.butterylucy.buttery Posts: 4
    Thank you all for your replies. Feel a bit better about them now!

These are my second lot of Gardeners Delight and Moneymaker tomatoes as I lost all of my previous seedlings after I did the first transplant from cells to pots. They were all still in the house at that point so I was a bit bemused!

This is my first year with an aluminium greenhouse rather than one of those cheap PVC ones so am exciting to see how everything grows!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,977
    Your greenhouse would probably have been too cold overnight for them if they went out a couple of weeks ago, but the new foliage certainly looks fine.  :)
    The compost doesn't look very inspiring though - I'd agree! You'll just need to play it by ear with that as you pot on. They may need  a little extra food earlier than usual, but wait and see how they do.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• patparipatpari Posts: 32
    @lucy.buttery i am in same situation and i thought it was compost as mentioned by fairygirl. is the compost by any chance new horizon veg one. i have given them weak seaweed feed and have sown them outdoors today
    patpari said:
    @lucy.buttery i am in same situation and i thought it was compost as mentioned by fairygirl. is the compost by any chance new horizon veg one. i have given them weak seaweed feed and have sown them outdoors today
    It is a Dobbies own compost. I’ve seen quite a few recommending the New Horizon compost so was debating giving it a go
  • patparipatpari Posts: 32
    @lucy.buttery i will update you on weeks time how they are doing on new horizon compost
    patpari said:
    @lucy.buttery i will update you on weeks time how they are doing on new horizon compost
    Thank you! I would love to know how you find it.