Forum home The potting shed

The Beechgrove Garden

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,701
    So are many gardens and their gardener's ambitions.   

I like to see the trials and comparisons they do at Beechgrove to show what works best and the costings too are important for many folk.   I don't think we need to see all the home garden contributions every week.  Half one week and half the next would be better but at least they have a good geographical spread as well as styles.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 190

Since Jim retired the presenters are of the "woke" persuasion highly qualified, but they appear to be talking and teaching primary school children instead of gardeners with some experience willing and wanting to learn, maybe how to garden differently!
    "Woke" is about being aware of racial and/or social injustice.  It is a term mis-applied to Beechgrove presenters who are just simplifying and de-mystifying gardening procedures and techniques.

I suspect they are currently limited by Covid rules as to how, what and where they can film.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,292
    Ha!ha! Well done @Obelixx you're giving the definition the Daily Mail didn't. So bored of clueless folk using the W word thinking they've said something critical and important 🤣 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • AngelicantAngelicant CheshirePosts: 83
    One Urban Dictionary contributor defines woke as “being aware of the truth behind things 'the man' doesn't want you to know”. Meanwhile, a concurrent definition signals a shift in meaning to “the act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue”.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,292
    A bit like snowflake a year ago, when anyone uses the word woke just confirms they can't think for themselves and are just out to have a fight. Frankly they just deserve to be ignored until they can cultivate their own vocabulary and not nicking it off racists on Twitter. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,065
    Maybe I'm just sheltered,  but I didn't know that word was a "thing".🤔😊
    It's popped up a couple of times @purplerallim so I looked it up.  I don't see why a new word is needed for just being aware of others, including respecting our similarities and our differences.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,736
    One Urban Dictionary contributor defines woke as “being aware of the truth behind things 'the man' doesn't want you to know”. Meanwhile, a concurrent definition signals a shift in meaning to “the act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue”.
    I would suggest the first definition is sexist and can imagine the screams of indignation if a bloke said that about 'the woman'.  The second definition is much nearer the reality of it's use, and a great description of many of the luvvies who have jumped onto the latest bandwagon.
    Before anybody jumps on me, I'm not saying that many of the issues aren't needing to be discussed, more that many of those espousing them not practicing what they preach.  A certain racing driver being a prime example, spouting about climate change whilst flying round the world on private jets.

Not to mention racing cars.  Fuel consumption to no good purpose.