Forum home The potting shed

Elaeagnus ebbingei Variegated. Leaves falling off

pmcamicpmcamic East Sussex Posts: 4
Have had these for about one year, planted at 60cm on a hillside. Did very well until about 2-3 weeks ago when the leaves began to yellow and then turn brow and fall off. Not happening on my non variegated varieties. New growth is vigorous and silvery but not variegated. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,025
    I think the silvering of the new leaves is common to all the Eleagnus ebbingei cultivars, green or variegated.  The silver disappears as the leaves age.

All evergreens shed old leaves, and after a tough winter you'll see quite a lot dropping at once, but they'll soon be replaced by new ones.  Your plants look healthy.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • pmcamicpmcamic East Sussex Posts: 4
    Thank you  https://forum.gardenersworld.com/profile/Liriodendron  very much. The variety is new to me and was not anticipating such a drop. 
  • FritillariaScotlandFritillariaScotland AyrshirePosts: 67
    It's been a loooong winter, my eleagnus ebbingei is doing the very same. It's been a tough season for them in Ayrshire, that's for sure. We had hail stones yesterday and it's a really windy day today. I tidied the plant up a bit, picked the yellow leaves off and cut the ends of some of the most damaged branches, hopefully that will help. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,891
    Common for any evergreen to shed foliage, as @Liriodendron says. Nothing to worry about  :)
    In harsher weather they'll suffer a little more, but will pick up once conditions improve. The silvering is normal too  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pmcamicpmcamic East Sussex Posts: 4
    Thank you @Fairygirl and @FritillariaScotland. The reassurances are very much appreciated.