Forum home The potting shed

soap and water pesticide

Is this Dr Bronner Organic Castile Liquid ok to make a soap and water pesticide or will my washing up liquid be alright ?

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,028
    Depends what you are trying to obliterate ?
    Always wise to ID the problem before buying/using any chemical :)
  • partydrolpartydrol Posts: 6
    Thanks for replying. Im trying to get rid of green/blackfly on my young magnolia but dont want to damage the leaves. I used soapy water but think I have damaged it. I hope I can rescue it.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,609
    Some plants are sensitive to soapy water. There's a basic list here but I don't think magnolia was on there https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/insecticidal-soaps-for-garden-pest-control/ 
    Ecover works fine for me. You need to make sure the soap has the right kind of fatty acids in it for it to work effectively.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
    What is Ecover ? Is that an insecticide you can use liberally without fear of damage to the plant?  Thanks for replying
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,609
    Sorry Ecover is just a band of washing up liquid. They sell a zero fragrance one which is what I use.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,655
    I find a jet of water from the hosepipe washes most aphids off, and avoids the risk of baby bluetits being fed with detergent-marinaded aphids. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,058
    I used to use the exact same Dr Bronner soap on ornamentals and edibles like blackfly infested broad beans. It’s pure natural soap, very gentle with no nasties. Better than washing up liquid. I would still use it, but can’t get it over here now.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,936
    I thought washing up liquid was detergent not soap. You need liquid soap to mix with water to spray insects.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,028
    To a certain extent with Green/Black fly you can simply rub off with your fingers and then rinse the leaves with rain water........... but ensure the sun is not shining on the plant when you rinse. 
    I have bought some  Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Pure Castille Liquid Soap but I dont know if it will be ok as its peppermint ?