Forum home The potting shed

Re-potting sprouted dahlia

Fern37Fern37 Posts: 9
edited 4 May in The potting shed
Hi everyone, may I ask some advice please. This is my first time growing dahlias and these have now sprouted up. Should I pot this up now do you think? Also I know you're supposed to pinch and cut off some stems but I'm a bit nervous to do so. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,194
    Pot it into a pot that can contain all the tubers with a bit of space around.  I would also pinch out the tops of each shoot at the same time. (just removing the growing point, not cutting a lot off) The front one needs doing urgently. The two behind  I would pot up, but not pinch yet.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Fern37Fern37 Posts: 9
    Pot it into a pot that can contain all the tubers with a bit of space around.  I would also pinch out the tops of each shoot at the same time. (just removing the growing point, not cutting a lot off) The front one needs doing urgently. The two behind  I would pot up, but not pinch yet.
    Thanks very much for your help, I'll get on to that asap ...off to rummage in the shed for suitable pots 🙂
  • One thing that’s missing in almost every single resource I’ve seen on this is:

When you’ve potted up early and have growing plants you want to put in the ground or in containers, how deep do you then pot them? The same depth as in the little pots with last years stem showing- seems very shallow? However if you pot deeper you’ll be burying some of your fresh stems- will they be damaged? It’s a small thing but I’ve been wondering about it for a couple of weeks now.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,194
    I plant them at the same depth as they were in the pot. The tubers have to be covered.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I plant them at the same depth as they were in the pot. The tubers have to be covered.
    As I’d have imagined, but many here say they barely cover the tubers in the first potting. Some of mine are showing through the compost, having gotten that advice and brushed some away.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,694
    Most of my dahlias have the tops of the tubers showing as per the OP's pic. (Maybe slightly more covered). The reason is to make cuttings easier to take. When I plant them out I will plant them so the soil covers the top of the tuber.