Forum home Plants

South facing ground cover suggestions?

TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,613
Hi. 

I’m currently filling my front garden (top tier border) with herbaceous perennials and a few shrubs. 

I’m going to pop in some “stepping stones” to help when I’m weeding etc so that I don’t compact the soil. 

Any ideas for ground cover (ideally evergreen) that isn’t massively invasive or, if it is, is easy to pull out where I don’t want it going? 

Thanks  

J. 

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Two suggestions are woodruff and campanula 'Mrs Resholt'.
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,613
    Thanks @Fire Is woodruff better for shade? 
    It does fine for me everywhere - full sun has been fine. Other people might have other experiences.
    edited April 2021
    I guess south facing in the north east up high is not the same as south facing in Berkshire (for example). I’ll pop along to the local GC tomorrow and have a look @Fire
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    If you have good free draining soil Silene Uniflora 'Druett's Variegated' makes a nice gentle ground cover that more or less stays evergreen if it's not too cold. If you have neutral to acidic soil, Lithodora Diffusa 'Heavenly Blue' is worth a try.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,442
    I've used Arabis Ferdinandi-coburgii in various places and it makes good ground cover. It does tend to revert but the plain green is nice too.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 788
    edited April 2021
    Creeping Phlox.
    It will spill over that wall nicely after a year or two.
    Sunny Dundee
    Creeping Phlox.
    It will spill over that wall nicely after a year or two.

Which is the best evergreen version please?
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 788
    I've got quite a few, and they are all evergreen but can get a bit rough. Easy enough to tidy though.. McDaniels Cushion seems to be the most vigorous. 
    Sunny Dundee
    @Balgay.Hill thanks for the suggestion. Is it a thug?