Forum home Problem solving

Is my winter flowering cherry worth saving?

Hi my winter flowering cherry is about 10 years old, maybe more. It was pretty healthy but getting too big so I had it cut back 3-4 years ago and it has never really recovered. It gets a bit of blossom and a few leaves but looks pretty bare. Can it be saved? I'm thinking of chopping it back quite severely now. Any ideas? Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,548
    Can we see a photo of it please. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Not sure why the pictures are sideways but you get the idea. This is about all the leaves it gets, likewise the blossom. Also I've shown a bit of rot (?) at the base. 

• Can we see a photo of it please. 😊 
    Can you see the pictures? 
    I can now thanks ... Icouldn't earlier when Iwas on my phone ... probably something this end, not your fault, sorry  :)

Can you remember at what time of year you cut it back?  Cherries and other prunus can contract silver leaf disease if cut back other than in early to mid summertime. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I can now thanks ... Icouldn't earlier when Iwas on my phone ... probably something this end, not your fault, sorry  :)

Can you remember at what time of year you cut it back?  Cherries and other prunus can contract silver leaf disease if cut back other than in early to mid summertime. 
    I seem to think it was early in the year but it was a few years ago. Certainly it has never really recovered since then and has been sparse ever since. Although I'm loathe to take it out I do want a really nice tree as it is in the front garden. 
    I think it’s days are drawing to a close.

I’d get it out and choose something lovely to replace it PDQ. 

It’s a shame ... but a dead plant is a new planting opportunity 😉 

• So I've given it a pretty drastic prune but not hopeful for it. But how to replace it if I have to chop it down? I can't see digging the roots out. Do you think I could grow a small cherry in a large pot? 

• A happy ending for my tree - I dug out the concrete it was growing in and watered it well and it has sprung back to life! I'm so pleased that it's saved. 
    Fabulous news!  Pictures in the spring pleeeeeeeeeeeeease  B)