Forum home The potting shed

Ireland subscribers

Hi. I am a gardeners world subscriber based in Ireland. I understand the impact of Brexit in terms of customs and plants moving across the water. Is it possible that subscribers based in different countries can have offers and competition that they are eligible to avail of.  It is very disheartening to have pages of a magazine dedicated to growing seeds or entering completions or advertisements which we cannot avail of.

thank you for the inspiration. It is a great magazine otherwise

• I agree and that’s one reason I don’t subscribe but I do wonder if they have enough subscribers here to make it worth doing so. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,671
    Not just Ireland.  I used to subscribe, years ago, when we lived in Belgium but the lack of freebies - which I could get if I bought it in a shop but not by mail - and the exclusion to plant offers and competitions to anyone outside the UK meant I stopped subscribing.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Same here- Dublin based.

on a related note has anyone tried to order anything from the likes of Sarah Raven since Brexit? Is it possible at all, even to get seeds, bulbs, etc.?

Also- is the complete absence of willow supports from garden centers here now another brexit side effect? I got some in late winter but they all seem to be gone now.
    Seeds and plants sent form the UK mainland now need phyto sanitary certificates at over £100 a pop so no, not possible at the mo.

There are alternatives tho if you care to wade thru this thread for sites offering seeds -
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1048376/uk-seeds-to-europe-and-northern-ireland-reminder/p1 

and there are some good EU based nurseries too.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx said:
    Seeds and plants sent form the UK mainland now need phyto sanitary certificates at over £100 a pop so no, not possible at the mo.

There are alternatives tho if you care to wade thru this thread for sites offering seeds -
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1048376/uk-seeds-to-europe-and-northern-ireland-reminder/p1 

and there are some good EU based nurseries too.

I work in the fruit and veg business so thought as much- but I said I’d check. It’s a pain in the arse. Ah well.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 875
    ciaranmcgrenera  Don't you/we know anyone in the UK who could buy them and pass on?  If suppliers were acceptable last year, without wrecking the EU they must be OK now.  It's only Brexit pettiness, just to be awkward.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,718
    edited 25 April
    It’s not Brexit pettiness .,, it’s EU phytosanitary rules ... one of the reasons we joined the EU all those years ago ... but some people forgot how life was before we joined and thought almost everything would stay the same ... we really thought we could pick and choose 🙄 

Pretty sure buying them in England and them importing them into NI would be illegal. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yes @Dovefromabove.  Illegal it is.
  • emerbemerb West of IrelandPosts: 28
    FYI the digital Gardeners' World magazine is available for free through the libraries in Ireland. You just need your library membership number and pin and you can access it and lots of other gardening magazines through the PressReader app/website.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 875
    Dove, I'm one of those who voted enthusiastically to join the Common Market, but just as keenly to leave the EU.  My comparison was with the position before we left, not before we joined, which is surely the 'petty' I mentioned.  Of course it's the law, but one of those which is more political than meaningful - and there are others.